Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Urbanized area card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barbapapa Barbapou
msg tools
mbmb
Hello,

If I'am unable to place a city tile adjacent to at least 2 other city tiles, Can I anyway play this card? I think so but I'am not sure.

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Price
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Must be able to meet the card requirements - Page 9 under check for requirements.I think that applies to the card in question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barbapapa2014 wrote:
Hello,

If I'am unable to place a city tile adjacent to at least 2 other city tiles, Can I anyway play this card? I think so but I'am not sure.

Thank you

No you can't, the card says that the city must be placed adjacent to 2 other cities, if you can't do this then you can't play the card.

Note that the rules list an exception stating that not being able to place a tile does not prevent card play, but the designer has stated elsewhere that this is incorrect and should have been removed from the published rules.

Edit-see Re: Lava Flows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Barbapapa2014 wrote:
Hello,

Thank you

No, you can't play a card unless you can perform all actions on it, including placing a tile it tries to place (except ocean tiles, since global parameter are an exception)
The exceptions to this rule are:
- Raising a global parameter (includes ocean tiles)
- Adding resources you can't collect
- Removing resources of another player you can't (or do not want to) remove. Removing production is still mandatory.

As for regular tiles, there is a paragraph on page 10 of the rules saying you don't have to place tiles, but this is an error (that will hopefully be fixed in future printings), and should not be an exception.
Source:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24023453#24023453
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tjoe Waldner
United States
Twin Brooks
South Dakota
flag msg tools
I would say no. Think of the 2 required cities as a prerequisite. An opportunity needs to be created for it to function.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric French
msg tools
Because "2 cities" are not listed in the Requirement section, I would consider text in the Immediate Effects area of the card to be optional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Telmah1115 wrote:
Because "2 cities" are not listed in the Requirement section, I would consider text in the Immediate Effects area of the card to be optional.

The rules state that to play a card you MUST be able to perform the immediate effects, in this case placing a city adjacent to 2 other cities. This is not optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.