Subject: Is your Desert Island game your favorite? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the common threads here on BGG is the 'what game would you pick if you could pick one for the rest of your life' question. Be it a desert island, zombie apocalypse, launch into space, whatever.

One thing I've been thinking and wondering about is: is your desert island game your favorite?

For me, my desert island game is one I don't even need to think about, Go, without a shadow of a doubt. It's my only perfect ten (apart from Win, Lose, or Banana, but that's... less serious) and I'll play it anytime. You can literally wake me up in the middle of the night to play Go. It has infinite replayability and depth, and it would never bore me.
But if I'd have to pick a favorite game right now, it would probably be Brass: Lancashire or Age of Steam. Where Go is a constant battle against myself (an enjoyable battle, mind you), Brass and AoS also offer vasts amount of strategy, depth and replayability, but in a more immediately satisfying 'fun' way. I don't think I could play just these for a lifetime as with Go, but when deciding what to play on game night, these pop up faster than Go.

Now tell me how you feel. Is your favorite game the one you would take with you on your journey to Mars?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Favourite game: Kanban. But I would take Dominion plus expansions. I would play Dominion more. I might even take Carcassonne plus expansions over Kanban, even though I adore Kanban. It's quite heavy to play all the time and I feel like those other games I could play endlessly. Perhaps not Kanban.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, as I would taker the civil war by VG, I might get to play a full game of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (Away/AFK)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
The best desert island game is Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lesco
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would depend if I had company on said island or not but there are games that I wouldn't call favourites that I wish I had the time to get to know better. I imagine it has come to the point where I could spend a lot of time with the ASL binder.

If I was the sole survivor I am thinking along the lines of Patton's Best. Maybe Ambush! if I was more certain about the replay ability of the scenarios.

This is all starting to sound very appealing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My desert island game is also Go. And it does happen to be my favorite game. Fortunately I have enough time to have a game night devoted to it as well as gaming time for the wider world of board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I alone on this desert island, or will I be stranded with the appropriate number of game-playing friends for whatever game I choose? Am I picking a single, boxed "game" or would be able to bring along a whole "game system"? Are we assuming that the components will survive indefinitely, or do I have to take fragility/replaceability into account?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Castaways. Good game, but definitely ran a little too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my desert island game would be a bunch of dice, if that counts, because there are many games I could play with those. So I guess I could say Tenzi, which is definitely not my favorite game and not even in my top 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, my pick for any of those questions is my favorite game, For the Crown (Second edition) (preferably with expansions.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
My desert island game is also Go. And it does happen to be my favorite game. Fortunately I have enough time to have a game night devoted to it as well as gaming time for the wider world of board games.

You lucky, lucky man. There actually is a Go club near me, but they play on an evening where I'm otherwise engaged

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.