Subject: In the Heart of Darkness -- "Monster" tiles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry P
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The scenario "In the Heart of Darkness" states that the Overlord can un-petrify a monster if there are fewer than two face-up monster tiles in the river. I couldn't find anything in the rules that differentiates 'monster' tiles from unit tiles, so I just assumed it meant unit tiles.

Which means that I couldn't bring in one of the big bads until the hyenas, the archers, and the Dark Demon were all dead. Consequently, the heroes won really easily.

Are only specific unit tiles "monster' tiles. Obviously the dark demon is a monster. Are hyenas monsters? If it's just the Dark Demon, can I un-petrify a creature right away?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
There are 3 kind of units for the overlord:
- minions: they only have 1 life point and are generally in groups. Example: Pict warriors, Bossonian Bowmen, Hyenas, etc. They have a reinforcement icon.
- leaders: humans or human-like that have several HP and are alone in their tile. May have several tiles that may or may not be used in a scenario. They have no reinforcement icon, so they can't be called back once they are dead. Examples: Zogar-Sag, Zaporavo, Guard Captain, Skulthus, etc.
- monsters: same as leaders, but non-human: Giant snake, demons, Khosastra-Khel (he is a god/demon although he looks like a human), etc.

Rule of thumb: if it has a reinforcement icon, it is a minion, if it has not, it is either a leader or a monster.
Alternative rule of thumb: if it has a life points token, it is either a Leader or a Monster and not a minion. (But warning: leaders and monsters from the add-on boxes (Baal-Pteor, the dragon, the vanhir Valkyrie, etc.) currently have no Life point token, but that is a mistake and Monolith will eventually provide them or a solution to get them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Biesiadowski
msg tools
I'm quite sure there are 4 monsters in that scenario - 3 petrified ones and Dark Demon. It makes sense from balance point of view and wording (otherwise, why would they mentioned that Dark Demon is ALSO a monster after stating there are 3 petrified monsters in game?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoum wrote:
(But warning: leaders and monsters from the add-on boxes (Baal-Pteor, the dragon, the vanhir Valkyrie, etc.) currently have no Life point token, but that is a mistake and Monolith will eventually provide them or a solution to get them).

FYI: someone posted a PDF of those missing tokens in the files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
sgbeal wrote:
Shoum wrote:
(But warning: leaders and monsters from the add-on boxes (Baal-Pteor, the dragon, the vanhir Valkyrie, etc.) currently have no Life point token, but that is a mistake and Monolith will eventually provide them or a solution to get them).

FYI: someone posted a PDF of those missing tokens in the files section.

Thanks for the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.