Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

King of Tokyo» Forums » Rules

Subject: Noob question on Discard cards... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Okay I just read through the rules on this game...but have yet to actually play it, and I'm confused on 1 thing...

Power cards with the "discard" keyword. In the rules it says they need to be used immediately and then discarded...so does that mean as soon as I buy them with the energy cubes, I have to use them right then and there? Or can I hold on to them and use the effect at a later time when it'd help me more?

I'm sure the answer is completely obvious and I'm just a big idiot haha...but I'm just looking for clarification before I play my first game later this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
twitch77 wrote:
... as soon as I buy them with the energy cubes, I have to use them right then and there? ...

This is the correct answer. You can not hold discard cards for later use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awesome, thank you very much for the quick answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an easy mistake; we played this wrong the first few games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Seixas
Brazil
flag msg tools
Just replying to say that I came to the forum with the same doubt.

It's not as obvious as you might think. There are other idiots like us out there LOL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the discard cards are cards you want to use immediately anyway--they get you some VPs (no reason to not take them now) or heal you or something. The ones that cause you damage (Tank, for example) are things you are generally only going to want to buy as soon as it makes you win (and most folks will feel the same way, so unlikely to get bought up).

I'm pretty sure at least one "Discard" card (Plot Twist) specifically says you can hold on to it till you want to use it.

So yeah, unless the card says otherwise, you buy the Discard card and use it immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bakija wrote:
I'm pretty sure at least one "Discard" card (Plot Twist) specifically says you can hold on to it till you want to use it.

Other way round.
It's a KEEP that says you must discard to use (unless they mucked with it for 2nd).
Still helps prove the point of "discards are immediate" though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:
bakija wrote:

Other way round.
It's a KEEP that says you must discard to use (unless they mucked with it for 2nd).
Still helps prove the point of "discards are immediate" though.

You are correct (even in 2nd Edition). So yeah, all the "Discard" cards are discard immediately. The one weird card is a keep that says "discard when you use it".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Strayer
msg tools
I used a High Altitude Bomber (3 points of damage to all players including yourself) "Discard" power card and was very happy to use it immediately... my son was about to win on VP, but only had 3 health points left... yes, I'm mean like that... what else was I supposed to do, let my son win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.