John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently picked up the Chains that Rust because I think it has a lot of cool stuff for RtL (hybrid classes, new monsters, etc). But it turns out my original Descent group wants to start up another campaign. I don't have Mists of Bilehall so I was wondering whether it would work just as well to use a different small-box expansion (Lair of the Wyrm or Trollfens) as the 'Act I' of the campaign and then progress to use The Chains that Rust as the Act II as normal?

And if so what special rules would I need to use -- should I use the tainted cards the entire time or just when beginning Act II? Should the players get any starting XP in Act I or just make everyone start out as regular 0xp characters?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not recommend bringing the tainted cards into another campaign. They really screw with the effect of KOs on the party. Mists and Chains are designed to account for this, but the other campaigns are not.

Chains works fine as a "start in act 2" campaign (sort of like an act 2 mini-campaign, but a bit longer and with more variation). There's nothing stopping you from playing that.

There's no real reason you couldn't play a different first half of a campaign and then jump into Chains, the only thing is that the story wouldn't make any sense- all of a sudden you'd be in a different situation fighting different enemies for a different reason. Also, the rewards from earlier in that campaign might not make sense (corrupt citizen cards if you played Nerekhall, allies and their skills if you played Labyrinth, etc). You'd just have to figure out how to deal with that stuff, but it's doable.

Depending on what you do have (specifically: Lair, Labyrinth, Trollfens, Nerekhall, Manor, Oath of the Outcast, Crown of Destiny, Crusade of the Forgotten, and Guardians of Deephall) you could also play a custom campaign like my Legacy of Timmorran.https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1338852/custom-campaign-leg... The monster packs are somewhat optional as replacements can be used for most instances. If that's what you decide to do and you don't have the monster packs, I'd be happy to provide further details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka-Pekka Tuominen
Finland
flag msg tools
I have a similar problem that my group is almost finished with Lair of the Wyrm campaign and we'd like to continue the quests.

The Chains that Rust seem like a good go as it's all Act II while almost all of LotW is Act I. Beginning from any Act I quests after playing it for some time seems boring.

I think the best option is to start a completely new campaign with The Chains that Rust using its campaign rules. That is what I will suggest to the group and also would recommend to do here.

In my game the group gets 4 XP when starting Lair of the Wyrm (with also 100 gold each) according to its campaign rules. Tainted cards are not used, but for instant the monsters of Chains that Rust are (with all the other cards of that expansion too).

When starting The Chains that Rust campaign the players pick all new heroes (if they want) and they start with 5 XP and 225 gold each. Then I will use the tainted cards and all the rules of TCtR campaign rules. The Overlord can pick a new set of Overlord cards too if he chooses.

So it's all as stated in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.