11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Next Game to get but can't decide rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rathma P.
Canada
flag msg tools
I'm in a bind and not sure what my next game to get. I have done some research and watched videos and I still can't decide what my next game I should get. They are all good, each have their own elements, but one common theme is that they are some type of fantasy and strategy game, which i like, but still differ alot from each other.

1. Zombicide: black plague
2. Runewars
3. Mage Knight
4. Starwars: imperial assault

So from the 4 i listed if you were to pick, which one would it be and why. Be interesting to see what other people say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy one for me. I would say Mage Knight Board Game because it is the one I own and have played. To be honest I don't get to play it as often as I would like but I love that I can play solo or with other people and the depth is awesome. If you enjoy the fantasy aspect I think you would enjoy it. I recommend watching the video play through by Ricky Royal. That helped me decide and also helped me figure out how to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen 3h
Netherlands
Zwolle
flag msg tools
Star Wars: Imperial Assault!!

Great as a two player game, for a quick round you could play the skirmish variant or just play the campaign. But even beter as a 1 vs. many game. I'm a big Star Wars fan so that's a huge plus for me but it's also a really great and fun game.

Only downside I can think of, no solo mode...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
Mage Knight from those games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runewars Great game that plays well at all player counts. I would also advise getting the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rathmax wrote:
2. Runewars
3. Mage Knight

So from the 4 i listed if you were to pick, which one would it be and why. Be interesting to see what other people say.

Well... how do you play?

Solo? In groups? How many players?
Cooperative vs competitive?
Do you prefer lighter or more complex games?
How relevant is the playing time?
How important are miniatures and the overall presentation of the game?

Answer these, and you pretty much have your answer.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played any of them but Mage knight is the only one I'd probably play in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rathmax wrote:
I'm in a bind and not sure what my next game to get. I have done some research and watched videos and I still can't decide what my next game I should get. They are all good, each have their own elements, but one common theme is that they are some type of fantasy and strategy game, which i like, but still differ alot from each other.

2. Runewars
3. Mage Knight

If you're new to gaming, I'd steer far clear of Mage Knight. It's a very complex game with a rules manual that will melt your brain unless you're an experienced gamer.

I'd go with Zombicide as it's the most versatile on your list. It has simple rules, so it's easy to play with gamers of all experience levels. It's also solo compatible, which means you can play some learning games or even a full campaign between group plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
rathmax wrote:

2. Runewars
3. Mage Knight

If you're new to gaming, I'd steer far clear of Mage Knight. It's a very complex game with a rules manual that will melt your brain unless you're an experienced gamer.

I'd go with Zombicide as it's the most versatile on your list. It has simple rules, so it's easy to play with gamers of all experience levels. It's also solo compatible, which means you can play some learning games or even a full campaign between group plays.

It's true. Mage Knight is the most complicated game from your list. It has lots of rules to follow and play time can be 4+ hours for your first games.

That being said, there's a reason why it is ranked so high on BGG, and that is on every 'top solo boardgames' list on youtube, ranking either 1st or 2nd everytime (with the exception of Dice Tower Zee's Solo Boardgames).

It's the best game from the list you provided us. The others don't come close to it in fullfillment, sense of accomplishment & replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan G
msg tools
I just had a chance to play imperial assault last night.

We had a lot of fun with it, but as was brought out before, it really depends on your group.

Imperial Assault seems like it would be fun with either 2,3 or 5 players.

And to really be able to enjoy it, you would want to be able to devote a couple hours to a game to get a campaign in, so your characters start to build.

Im not too much into RPG's because you need a pretty dedicated group to do it, but this game hit all the right notes for me, good story driven game, with RPG elements, but without the commitment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugenio
Argentina
flag msg tools
From that list I only have Mage Knight so it's the one I can recommend.
It is true what the other posters have say, it takes time to set up and has a lot of rules. But that shouldn't draw you back, it is also what makes the game great.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.