Subject: The Dreamers - first preview rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/11/4/the-dre...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's one thing I really don't like about this preview...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alaska Saedelaere
msg tools
mb

Really like that new Talent.
Think I am going to enjoy this expansion even more now.

Only wish the preview was a bit longer ... after all this waiting time.

@ haroth9842:
You do realize that one of them is an Ally while the other card is a (magical) Weapon, right? cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lorinor wrote:
You do realize that one of them is an Ally while the other card is a (magical) Weapon, right? cool
Yes, I do.
Are allies universally worse then items with the same cost and I somehow missed that?
Traits can be both a benefit and a liability. Each of the traits featured on these cards has it's share of positive and negative effects from encounters, mythos, etc. Can you say that Allies get better effects in general? Because that would be the only thing that could justify this divergence.
-----------------------------
A Talent that is also a Boon? I'm intrigued. But I hope this idea won't be used too much. I'm very fond of separating conditions by trait. If FFG decides to create an Illness nad Madness that are also Banes, it would force me to combine those three stacks into one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Dickinson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
Can you say that Allies get better effects in general? Because that would be the only thing that could justify this divergence.

I don't think the divergence needs to be justified. Card value is not perfectly balanced, and not meant to be. As long as both cards are approximately better than most of the 2-cost and approximately worse than most of the 4-cost, they're both the right price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
A Talent that is also a Boon? I'm intrigued. But I hope this idea won't be used too much. I'm very fond of separating conditions by trait. If FFG decides to create an Illness nad Madness that are also Banes, it would force me to combine those three stacks into one.

That was my immediate thought. I think I'm going to stick with putting it in either talent or boon stack, and either live with it being ungettable via random draws of the other stack, or having a die roll.

Tentatively, it goes in the boon stack, with a random roll if you're drawing talents, to see if you get that one.

I hope this isn't a symptom of things to come; having to recombine everything into one stack is just simply stupid. Right now, I can dig for a random debt or dark pact easily, as the deals all have a single stack. If I had to dig through the combined condition stack every time... ug. Not to mention that we're now having to do what? Combine the conditions and unique assets decks? That was something you had kept separate according to the rules, wasn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:

The monster hunter was overpriced. The bow is... well, you can't price it at 2.65 successes (what it's worth), so... round to the nearest round number, 3 it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
haroth9842 wrote:

Doesn't seem fair at first glance but the Monster Hunter is more reliable and will always give you that +2 bonus. The Bow will lose it's benefit against Monsters with magical resistance so it sorta balances out ok.

I am happy with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Blab
Iceland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure the bonus from the Monster Hunter doesn't apply against Monsters with physical resistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aurelian
United Kingdom
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looks like we'll have to stack talents with boons now - slightly irritating but the card is good and I guess I'll get used to the new arrangement. Wonder if we'll ever get a bane talent - seems unlikely but you never know.

Everything shown is very solid, already looking forward to this expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
rugli wrote:
I'm pretty sure the bonus from the Monster Hunter doesn't apply against Monsters with physical resistance.

Yeah you are right. For some reason I assumed resistance only applied to weapons.

In that case the bonus difference does seem a bit odd.

Maybe in the next FAQ as an amendment they could alter the Monster Hunters Action effect to do 2 damage instead of 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrimGuvna wrote:
Maybe in the next FAQ as an amendment they could alter the Monster Hunters Action effect to do 2 damage instead of 1.
That would be a little too much. Matching the Strength bonus would be enough. But I doubt any official fix would happen. Monster Hunter is just a bit underpowered. If FFG would be willing to dispense some buffs, there are artifacts out there that are worthless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is ok that some assets are better than others, that makes for better gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
viresium wrote:
It is ok that some assets are better than others, that makes for better gameplay.
Do you know of any other example when one asset is strictly better than another? While having the same cost, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
viresium wrote:
Do you know of any other example when one asset is strictly better than another? While having the same cost, of course.

That is irrelevant. My point is it is ok for some to be worse than others. Like the Cat Burgler is practically useless but that doesn't mean I want it to not exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Dickinson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
viresium wrote:

Lucky Rabbit's Foot is better than Lantern - both are limited to once per round, but Lantern must be committed before the test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:
viresium wrote:

Lucky Rabbit's Foot is better than Lantern - both are limited to once per round, but Lantern must be committed before the test.
At the same time Lantern is better than Lucky Rabbit's Foot - both are limited to once per round, but Lantern provides an additional die instead of a reroll.

Lantern is generally more effective when you need more than one success.
Lucky Rabbit's Foot is generally more effective when you only need one success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik C
Canada
flag msg tools
There are a handful of very situational advantages for the monster hunter. Easier for Leo Anderson to acquire, he can be discarded to prevent damage from a ghoul, effects that discard allies are rarer than those which discard items (not really sure if the last is true but you get the gist).

Also, as more expansions come out and interesting items get added to the mix, the creators have been careful to include several 'standard' items with each one to maintain the deck ratios. Some overlap is going to result from that, and eventually one or two items will come along that are either exact duplicates or strictly better/worse than each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.