Popular Tags: [View All]
Anton Markus Giger
Austria
Linz
Oberösterreich
flag msg tools
mb
The Plan

I decided to paint my set of Conan minis. Due to lack of talent, time and resources I wanted to just use a wash to get a simplistic highlighting effect and maybe distinguish different batches of minis through use of different colours. After a bit of research I found out that this is not an uncommon practice and brings just about the result I had envisioned. I should add that I'm a total newbie to painting minis. (Apparently primer is a must have to make the paint stick to the model, just in case you were thinking about leaving it out, as I was.) I'm almost finished with the good guys so I wanted to share the result for anybody thinking about going down the same route.

Progress

Here are some black dragons - 1 straight out of the box, 1 primed with Citadel Corax White Spray on Primer, 1 primed and washed with Citadel Seraphim Sepia Shade:

I'm really content with the results, it makes highlights pop and adds a lot to the models, especially the light grey plastic ones, which look a bit dull out of the box. I think I'll even get around to drybrush them, probably with an off white bone color. If anybody's interested I can upload more pictures of different models

What now?

I'm currently considering what to do with the OL minis. I originally planned to use white primer + black wash for them but the guy at my local Games Workshop store didn't like that idea and said they'd probably just look dirty. So now I'm thinking about using different colours for the baddies. Maybe red for leaders, green for monsters, blue for minions. Or maybe even stick to the most common activation group color schemes - but then I'd sometimes end up with "wrongly" colored minis in some scenarios. On the other hand I'd rather have the heroes be the ones sticking out on the board, so maybe I don't want the OL models to be colored. Is there an easy way to give them just a hint of color?

Tough decisions incoming, so I'm looking for opinions on this. Has anybody tried something similar with the Conan minis? I'd love to see minis that got a white primer + black wash treatment.

edit: I forgot to mention I'll also have to paint the bases. Not sure if white or black would be better. Probably black to not draw attention to the base. Also I accidentaly used "airbrush" instead of "drybrush" - corrected
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
If you have an airbrush then zenithal highlighting the models is fast and looks good The first part of this tutorial does a great job of explaining how to do it with either airbrush or spray can, starting at the 3:50 mark:

You could then wash them or do the zenithal highlights with different colors rather than grey and white.

Here are a few unpainted and primed models side by side:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacques Evrard
Belgium
Carlsbourg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also use two different colors for the bases, one for the "good guys" & another for the "bad guys"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
mondrianton wrote:
Has anybody tried something similar with the Conan minis?

Absolutely, and I'd recommend looking at Army Painter Strong Tone Quick Shade, rather than black ink.

You can see my attempts at the same process here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1661505/painting-coloured-p...

Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm liking what I'm seeing in this thread. I'd love to see what other tips folks have for doing something very simple, yet aesthetically pleasing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Gill
msg tools
I do think you should add try the drybrushing. Doesn't take much time and will make the models pop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair warning, drybrushing destroys brushes, use cheap synthetic ones. #12 round is good, I like using filberts too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.