Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
Son of Jor-El
mbmbmbmbmb
So today I've seen two questions come from enemy rivals having ships in the same sector, both occurring as a result of one side building ships in a sector they control that has a starbase, when an enemy rival has ships in the same sector.

- if you build ships in such a sector, I assume that the enemy ships would technically block your movement out of that sector and you'd need to defeat them in combat to be able to move your new ships?

- if you did trigger combat in such a sector, would both sides technically block the ability of either side to retreat from the combat, due to them blocking each other's movement?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No to both.

You cannot enter a system you don't control containing hostile ships, but nothing stops you from leaving such a system. Plus, the player who controls the system can enter it, because he controls it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
Son of Jor-El
mbmbmbmbmb
This doesn't have anything to do with entering a system, this is a question about leaving a system that contains enemy rival ships.

I can see now that enemy ships don't block your movement through systems that you control, that's fine, but what about the enemy ships? Can they move out of the sector after you've built ships there? And if there was combat could they retreat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
There is nothing in the rules about rival ships preventing the exiting of a sector, only entering or moving through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gazbowski wrote:
This doesn't have anything to do with entering a system, this is a question about leaving a system that contains enemy rival ships.

I can see now that enemy ships don't block your movement through systems that you control, that's fine, but what about the enemy ships? Can they move out of the sector after you've built ships there? And if there was combat could they retreat?

If you read my whole post, I said that there is no rule against exiting such a system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ferrier
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I'm remembering this correctly but I thought if the enemy takes control of a sector the enemy starbase in that sector is destroyed and they give one of their command chit to the conqueror so there wouldn't be an instance where you could build where enemy ships are but I only played once a couple of months ago so it's fuzzy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k c
msg tools
mb
Starbases are never destroyed, they just change hands.

Pg 20: "Starbases are too valuable to destroy. Once a Starbase is placed on a System, it remains there for the rest of the game. When Control of a System changes hands, Control of the Starbase does too."

I also agree that ships in the same sector/system do not prevent movement out of that spot. As others have said, you only look at being blocked when entering. So even when Exiting a contested spot, you only check the spot you are exiting to (aka entering) to see if its blocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.