Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dan pancaldi
Canada
Les Coteaux, Que.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would justify my purchase and go broke with the philosophy that ' I'll play it when I'm older and when I'm sick'. Well , I'm older and presently sick and cannot play games. Not to worry, it will get better. Another BGG'er I know is also ill and he's in a predicament where life is looking down, figuratively not metaphorically. Not to worry, he tells me he will get better.
This leads me to my statement of a lesson learn't. So now that I've bought those games where 'I would have played them when I'm sick and old' seems quite absurd. Money I don't have is sitting on the shelf waiting to be played. Hmmm, COGITO ERGO SUM, not in my case. Will I learn from this, maybe, maybe not. Man is not the smartest animal, which speaks volumes for me. You know what, save your money and buy a kid an ice cream, you'll feel better. Better still play a game with him/her.
What am I getting at.... I'm home with a lot of time on my hands and all I have at the moment is my thoughts, for now! So I'd figure I'd drop my BGG brother's and sister's my milestone lesson.whistle Lesson learn't? We'll see, we'll see.
Sorry for the rant.modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well there's a certain joy in collecting though, isn't there? After all, what do you actually do with coins, or stamps, or old milk cans?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Townsend
Italy
Roma
Lazio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but there is a difference in those who collect purely for collection, and those who collect because they want to play (some day).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan pancaldi
Canada
Les Coteaux, Que.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agip wrote:
True, but there is a difference in those who collect purely for collection, and those who collect because they want to play (some day).

Hai ragione! Ciao Jonathan.
Ti auguro tante belle cose.kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan,
you surely won't get younger, but there's hope you'll get even more wiser and, most importantly, well again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that I regret the things I don't do, rather than those I do.

I'd rather have an unplayed game on a shelf than one I'm fruitlessly searching for when I do get the time to play.

Hope you feel better soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Silenced - BGG's moderation policies have driven me completely from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
InappropriateAndy wrote:
I find that I regret the things I don't do, rather than those I do.

Yeah. Mostly. Though prison can change that perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people have spent money on things they will never get a chance to use - books they have not read, films they have not watched or in the modern world, subscriptions to Netflix and other services they have not used to the full.

Since no-one knows how long they have to live, you could never guarantee that you will ever make the most of anything you pay for.

Happiness comes in many forms and if you find happiness buying and owning the games, even if you never had a chance to play them, it is surely not a complete waste.

Plus on a practical level, wargames hold their value well, so if you can't play them, sell them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What does "F.O.M.O." mean? "Friends Of Merlin Olsen"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim RTC wrote:

Happiness comes in many forms and if you find happiness buying and owning the games, even if you never had a chance to play them, it is surely not a complete waste.

I went to a funeral of a guy my age on Saturday morning - tumor - 6 months - gone.

That afternoon I bought 2 wargames - because I wanted to have them and life is too unpredictable to keep postponing doing the things you like and give you pleasure. Yesterday I spend an hour stickering one of them, and realized that I was really enjoying myself just looking at all the lovely stickered blocks and the map and leafing through the rules ... Even if I never play the game (highly unlikely) I'll still feel good about buying and owning it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Westie wrote:
What does "F.O.M.O." mean? "Friends Of Merlin Olsen"?

Fear Of Missing Out

Somewhat better known than

FONSAROHTPEEP

Fear of never seeing a reprint or having to pay extortionate eBay prices
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Silenced - BGG's moderation policies have driven me completely from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
... or having to pay extortionate eBay prices

To me, this is the goofiest part of it. If it's not providing
pleasure, don't bother. There's a cost to storage.

Doesn't mean you have to play something - but an actual fear
that you might have to pay like new prices ten years later is ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:
... or having to pay extortionate eBay prices

To me, this is the goofiest part of it. If it's not providing
pleasure, don't bother. There's a cost to storage.

Doesn't mean you have to play something - but an actual fear
that you might have to pay like new prices ten years later is ridiculous.

Yeah, most of the time even years later stuff doesn't sell for much more than the original MSRP, and usually less if it's punched. But there are exceptions (ASL, OCS).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.