Subject: using reserve markers to buy cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Donald K. Ross (Medal of Honor recipient)
mbmbmbmb

2.7 says you can use reserve markers to buy cards in the Organization Phase OR the Weekly Organization phase.

9.0 Organization Phase. I can find no reference to the use of reserve markers to buy cards.

19.1 Weekly Organization Phase. This rule does say you can use reserve markers to buy cards.

So, can reserve markers be used to buy cards in the Organization Phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Calxx55 wrote:

2.7 says you can use reserve markers to buy cards in the Organization Phase OR the Weekly Organization phase.

9.0 Organization Phase. I can find no reference to the use of reserve markers to buy cards.

19.1 Weekly Organization Phase. This rule does say you can use reserve markers to buy cards.

You are correct this should have indicated 8.0 Strategic Phase., my bad. I changed this late in the design and somehow we forgot to correct that sentence.

Page 11:

[8.0] Strategic Phase
During the Strategic Phase, the following Steps must be performed in order:

A. Allied Card Draw/Discard Step: The Allied player does his Event Discards and Draws (see 5.1).
B. German Card Draw/Discard Step: The German player does his Event Discards and Draws (see 5.1).
Etc...

Rule 5.1 says:

[5.1] Event Card Discard and Draws
This phase begins by discarding. A player can only retain two cards in his hand before drawing, so he must discard any excess cards in his hand at this time, and may also decide to discard the last two cards, if any.
After discarding (if required), a player draws four cards from the Draw Pile (one by one, playing red-text cards), or Reserve markers (one Reserve Point per card draw forfeited) in any combination, for a total of four, and adds them to his hand or Reserve. The Allied player can take the tan (UK) or green (US) markers in any combination.
He can then spend available Reserve Points to draw more cards if desired, without going over his hand limit of six cards (12.4).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Donald K. Ross (Medal of Honor recipient)
mbmbmbmb

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Fugazza
Italy
Gorla Minore (VA)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
Calxx55 wrote:

You are correct this should have indicated 8.0 Strategic Phase., my bad. I changed this late in the design and somehow we forgot to correct that sentence.

Page 11:

[8.0] Strategic Phase
During the Strategic Phase, the following Steps must be performed in order:

A. Allied Card Draw/Discard Step: The Allied player does his Event Discards and Draws (see 5.1).
B. German Card Draw/Discard Step: The German player does his Event Discards and Draws (see 5.1).
Etc...

Rule 5.1 says:

[5.1] Event Card Discard and Draws
This phase begins by discarding. A player can only retain two cards in his hand before drawing, so he must discard any excess cards in his hand at this time, and may also decide to discard the last two cards, if any.
After discarding (if required), a player draws four cards from the Draw Pile (one by one, playing red-text cards), or Reserve markers (one Reserve Point per card draw forfeited) in any combination, for a total of four, and adds them to his hand or Reserve. The Allied player can take the tan (UK) or green (US) markers in any combination.
He can then spend available Reserve Points to draw more cards if desired, without going over his hand limit of six cards (12.4).

Hi Carl,FANTASTIC GAME !

so in any case it's never possible to have more than six cards in hand during strategic phase, correct ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words Alberto. This game was an immense amount of work, much more than I planned for. robot

This is correct you cannot have more than six cards. So if you have six in your hand you cannot spend reserve markers to get more cards. And if you somehow end up with more than six (some card events could give you extra cards) then you must discard the extras at the end of the Supply Phase (12.4).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wifbert Boye
Canada
flag msg tools
I must disagree on that answer. The Allies are first and will get their six cards (usually). The Germans can draw a "you must immediately give this card to your opponent" card. Hopefully they will not be so super unlucky as to draw 2 of those!

So now the Allies might have 7 or even more cards! They can use those - per the rules - during the Strategic Phase card play and for the Deployment Phase and still be back to down to 6 or less at the beginning of the Allied Player turn when they are required to be at that limit.

Unfortunately the poor Germans have no such luxury. if the Allies "must immediately" give them a card, they can only top out at 6. OTOH the German player would save on buying cards with reserve points if he desires to get to 6, plus the ones he "immediately" gets are pretty good cards.

So I'm not sure if this is an oversight or if it is intended. If an oversight, then the rules could say the players alternate drawing cards. But that would only stop the Allies from getting more than 7 cards at the maximum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules specifically state that you cannot use reserve markers to get more than 6 cards in your hand. And this is what I have stated. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Fugazza
Italy
Gorla Minore (VA)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
The rules specifically state that you cannot use reserve markers to get more than 6 cards in your hand. And this is what I have stated. meeple

Thanks !
Now I'm ready for the campaign devil

Alberto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
af90 wrote:
licinius wrote:

Thanks !
Now I'm ready for the campaign devil

Alberto

Great. Keep us informed about how the game goes! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wifbert Boye
Canada
flag msg tools
licinius wrote:

Yes that answer is there. I should not have said I disagree with that answer. I thought you were saying it is not possible to have more than six cards.

Do you agree with my example of how that can happen with the Allies, and that they can use the extra before the Supply Phase and thus not have to discard to get to 6?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wifferboy wrote:
licinius wrote:

Yes that answer is there. I should not have said I disagree with that answer. I thought you were saying it is not possible to have more than six cards.

Do you agree with my example of how that can happen with the Allies, and that they can use the extra before the Supply Phase and thus not have to discard to get to 6?

Yes you are absolutely correct. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.