Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Nguyen
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
Was looking at La Granja: The Dice Game and it got me thinking to look at other games that use dice drafting as a mechanism. I looked under the Mechanics page, but Dice Drafting is not listed as a mechanism there.

What other games involve dice drafting? I know Seasons does, but that doesn't seem like something in my wheelhouse. A quick search brought up Troyes and Signorie, will look into these two, but opinions on these will be nice.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grand Austria Hotel

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes is SOOOOPER clever. It's far far more than rolling sets of dice and picking them in player order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew VanSpronsen
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Grand Austria Hotel. Excellent Dice placement game. I am also a fan of Signorie which does dice drafting with engine building and then set collection for scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite mechanisms. I'm always in the mood for a dice-manipulation game:

#1: Troyes - It reigns supreme. So. Good.
#2: The Voyages of Marco Polo - Challenging. Grueling decisions.
#3: Grand Austria Hotel - Mind bending. So many options. Hurry, everyone's waiting for you to take your turn.
#4: Madeira - The heaviest. It would probably be higher on the list if it were easier to get to the table.
#5: Macao - Fun mechanism. Has a bit of a "classic" feel to it now.
#6: Roll for the Galaxy - Not technically dice drafting, but it has a pretty similar feel. This one is fast. I'd call it a super filler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew VanSpronsen
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:

The Voyages of Marco Polo is dice placement. Excellent game, just not dice drafting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thief's Market New(ish) small game, but not quite a filler (hour+ play time). Quickly becoming one of my favorite small games though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
avanspronsen wrote:
thedacker wrote:

The Voyages of Marco Polo is dice placement. Excellent game, just not dice drafting.

I personally don't draw such a hard line with this category. Playing dice and their rolled values from round to round makes drafting, placing, stealing, borrowing, grouping, etc all feel pretty similar. I lump them all into a category called "dice manipulation". I think it's highly unlikely that someone who likes dice "drafting" wouldn't like dice "placing".

But...if we're getting technical, you draft the black dice in Marco Polo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Big fan of dice drafting and dice placement. Wish there were more.

I like Elder Sign for it.
I have not played it but Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia might work.
Also Apocalypse Chaos flew under the radar for most. It's very puzzly.

Also also if you like solitaire games Deep Space D-6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Wong
Canada
Stouffville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A game that gets very little attention is Livingstone, which I'd totally recommend as well as the aforementioned list of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew VanSpronsen
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
avanspronsen wrote:
thedacker wrote:

I personally don't draw such a hard line with this category. Playing dice and their rolled values from round to round makes drafting, placing, stealing, borrowing, grouping, etc all feel pretty similar. I lump them all into a category called "dice manipulation". I think it's highly unlikely that someone who likes dice "drafting" wouldn't like dice "placing".

But...if we're getting technical, you draft the black dice in Marco Polo.

I would disagree there too...the black dice are purchased and then rolled and only useable by that player. Dice drafting is selecting already rolled dice from a common pool.

I agree that we can get hung up on definitions but felt it important to point out given the OP was looking specifically for dice drafting games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Village
Blueprints
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Rodríguez
Venezuela
Caracas
flag msg tools
badge
I like turtles!
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaimowitz wrote:

+1 Blueprints!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Davidson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:

I do get the sentiment, but if someone would have asked for a card drafting game, and got a recommendation for a game where cards are played but are not drafted, how reasonable would you really think a response like the one below is?
fake response with minimal changes for cards wrote:
I personally don't draw such a hard line with this category. Playing cards and their printed values from round to round makes drafting, playing, stealing, borrowing, grouping, etc all feel pretty similar. I lump them all into a category called "card manipulation". I think it's highly unlikely that someone who likes card "drafting" wouldn't like card "playing".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another +1 for Blueprints. I had a chance to play this a month or two ago and we all loved it. Its been on my wish list ever since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian G.
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Colony

Reminds a little of Dominion with a dozen cards in the middle of the table available for everyone. However, you do everything with dice, you buy cards with dice, you activate cards with dice etc

At the beginning of your turn, you roll a couple of dice and take the one you want. Then, the next player takes one of the remaining dice and so on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Nguyen
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for everyone's opinion. Will be doing a lot of research before Cyber Monday.

I think high on the list for heavier games are Troyes and Grand Austria Hotel. I'll take a look at Voyages of Marco Polo, as well. Seems like all are in between print runs right now.

For lighter games, will take a look at Blueprints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.