badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is the order?

1. Compare strenght
2. Choose the new battle line
3. Discard battle lines
4. Discard cards from hand

That 4. is after 2. makes sense, because you can decide to not start the next battle with discarding your cards from hand.

But why is 3. after 2.? In every other game after a resolution is made everybody automatically cleans up their display of cards. So it would be strange after a battle is resolved to tell all players "Wait, wait, don't discard the cards which are lying in front of you. We have to first determine a new battle region and then you can discard your cards."
This is so unintuitive.

The same with the variant:

1. Compare strenght
2. Draw new cards
3. Choose the new battle line
4. Discard battle lines

I would put 4. directly after 1.:

1. Compare strenght
2. Discard battle lines
3. Draw new cards
4. Choose the new battle line

I just want to know what's the reason for this order, because I want to give a reason if the other players are asking "What's the reason to play this game in this strange order?".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing so there is no problem remembering who is picking the next battle region. (Who had the most Courtesans, or if the players who played Courtesans were tied, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gordon
United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
Mysterons - my kind of club...
mbmbmbmbmb
It is actually an important part of ending a Round, to then be ready to re-deal cards to all players for a new Round. But I'll come back to that later.

1. Compare Strength.

This is the end of the Battle, to see who is victorious to control this region. If a player is the winner, a control marker is placed and they take the Condottiere token. So it's at this point that this may be contested with Courtesans, which may then alter who gets the Condottiere.

(This is also the step where you decide whether a player has won the game. If a player achieves the control of the last region he needed he's victorious.)

And if no outright winner of the Battle can be decided (all Battlelines left are the same score) then the Condottiere passes to the next player clockwise, providing no Courtesans in Battlelines affect this.

2. Choose the New Battle

Now you know who is the acting Condottiere. They then choose the location for the next Battle, important in the basic game as you cannot choose a location where the Pope currently sits, nor can you place it on a location already controlled. The Condottiere might even have no cards left to play in this new Battle - they still choose where it takes place. You can even return back to the location just fought over where no control was determined.

3. Discard Battlelines

Now this is the point where the played cards are all removed to the Discard pile. This sequence is important because of the next phase.

4. Discard Cards from hand

If any player has no Mercenary cards (the numbered rank-and-file cards, not Courtesans or Heroines, etc) left in his hand, he may choose to discard the lot. His play in this Round is over. And this can also be the case for any and all other players who have exhausted all Mercenaries from their hand - especially if they passed in the last Battle when they ran out of cards to play.

And it's now that you check whether the Round has ended.

After Phase 4 above, if only one player remains with an active hand of cards, the Round is over. He can keep up to 2 of those cards of his choice but must discard the rest.

And whoever is the Condottiere, decided at the end of that last battle, now reshuffles all discards and deals new cards to begin a new Round.

So the Condottiere has dealt out the cards, everyone has a new hand, he chose the location for the next Battle, and as first player he starts that new Battle.

This turn sequence really makes people think about when do they want to be Condottiere, should they save Courtesans for the latter stage of the Round, should they stay in a Battle they cannot hope to win just so they can play out their hand to bring about the end of the Round sooner. It stops those players who have powerful cards from hoarding them because if they run out of Mercenaries, what good will they do him if others play out their hands too. And that you can only take two with you from this Round to the next, so you need to decide what to keep.

I don't know if I've explained this well, but playing it in the proper sequence does work, and adds some tension to the game-play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vorname nachname
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Robert's answer. To "Choose the new battle line" and then "Discard battle lines" makes sense for memorizing aspects.
To Robert: I understood why "Discard cards from hand" is the last step, if it was what you wanted to explain.

But the order of the variant I don't understand:

1. Compare strenght
2. Draw new cards
3. Choose the new battle line
4. Discard battle lines

I would place "Draw new cards" at the end so that you can reshuffle the deck if it runs out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.