Popular Tags: [View All]
Kissa
United States
flag msg tools
La vie est un jeu
badge
Panem et Circenses
mbmbmbmbmb
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/ny-hospital-cardio-...

Quote:
A Long Island hospital has banned political debates in the gym of its cardio rehab unit.

A sign posted in the gym at Southampton Hospital says that due to the fact that they have patients with heart conditions they can't allow political debates.

Manager Jessica Swiatocha tells WCBS-TV ( http://cbsloc.al/2fAiGri ) that she posted the sign after she saw patients getting upset over the presidential election.

She says they have patients recovering from heart surgery and the last thing they want to do is increase their stress levels.

Swiatocha says she's not against free speech. She says politics can be discussed, but only in a calm manner and not debated, which she thinks can get a little bit heated.

———

Information from: WCBS-TV, http://www.cbs2ny.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, and a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably a very good idea.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't this why Tripp doesn't come into RSP any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Actually quite a stupid idea. But hey, whatever wimps.

This is PC run amok, and Ferret approves? Dude, I mean, DDDDUUUUDDDEEE!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fucking safe spaces.

Seriously though, probably a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
No it is NOT a good idea. Talk about setting a bad precedent. Now doctors and hospitals can tell you what and what not to talk about? Can insurance companies deny your coverage because you called Clinton a criminal cunt or Trump a raving dipshit? And who determines what is calm and rational discussion of politics?

What the fuck are you people doing to my country?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb

My mother has had a prescription for YEARS that forbids her to watch the news, especially anything political. The doctor said he wanted her to take this seriously so she wrote it up officially as part of her health care regimen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

Is it a private Hospital?
If it was Public than they probably shouldn't do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
No it is NOT a good idea. Talk about setting a bad precedent. Now doctors and hospitals can tell you what and what not to talk about? Can insurance companies deny your coverage because you called Clinton a criminal cunt or Trump a raving dipshit? And who determines what is calm and rational discussion of politics?

What the fuck are you people doing to my country?

It's a sheet of paper taped to a door. It's not like armed security guards are standing ever vigilant looking for the first sign of disobedience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
No it is NOT a good idea. Talk about setting a bad precedent. Now doctors and hospitals can tell you what and what not to talk about?

We are talking about a space specifically for recovery from heart issues, where I have to imagine extra stress is bad. So yes, if people have been repeatedly getting too heated for health in the doctor's opinions, then I do think they are within reason to kibosh it for medical reasons.

The insurance example you provide is a non-sequitur.

And I think the doctors's probably have a way to decide calm and rational discussion: are people's BPMs going up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
AndrewRogue wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
No it is NOT a good idea. Talk about setting a bad precedent. Now doctors and hospitals can tell you what and what not to talk about?

We are talking about a space specifically for recovery from heart issues, where I have to imagine extra stress is bad. So yes, if people have been repeatedly getting too heated for health in the doctor's opinions, then I do think they are within reason to kibosh it for medical reasons.

The insurance example you provide is a non-sequitur.

And I think the doctors's probably have a way to decide calm and rational discussion: are people's BPMs going up?

They monitor that real close in cardiac rehab and if you are going too high they do tell you to slow down. I was on the treadmill most of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

Yeah, in this case I think it's a good idea.

Not because of PC--because it leads to arguments and disrespectful behavior and everything that happens here magnified 10X.

An example: I play an old turn-based strategy game called Empire Deluxe with a variety of folks in America and overseas. Our one rule is "no political discussions" because quite frankly they make people mad. Imagine the "rational, reasoned" discussions here except it's in a venue you can't just ignore or leave because you're playing a game. Add to that the varied political views not just here in America but overseas (I play several folks in Europe for example). Just not a good idea to mix with the fun of the game.

So I see the wisdom in their actions.

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.