United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.epiccardgame.com/epic-uprising-ranking-the-cards/

My thoughts at the link. Post here and tell me how wrong I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Minnigh
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zannos should be higher, although it is at least in the top 10, so maybe it's just a little thing. I think Rift Summoner is a much better card than you give credit for. It establishes a lot of very useful Demon Tokens, and if it isn't taken care of, it can get ridiculous.

Little things like Bodyguard I think should be a little higher as it is an awesome cards for Good, and I think Breakthrough giant Wild decks will really be able to use Spore Beast. I think that card really will give opponent's a lot of scares.

Excellent initial analysis though! We agree on a lot. And rankings within 5-10 spaces are pretty fluid

And your points about Winged Death are very valid. If an opponent is not prepared for it, it could be game changing. It does really suck if your opponent has even a little amount of token defense or Soul Hunters though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that you rank Frantic Digging so highly. Not sure about #1 but it definitely deserves more love than some seem to be giving to it.

I'm itching for a risky evil card which hurts you to play it but has an interesting gray-box effect.

Pretend example card
"Ritual of Reanimation"
Evil Necromancer Event

Lose 4 health.
mb → You may pay 1 health.
If you do, put target champion from any
discard pile into play under your control
without triggering loyalty or tribute abilities.

Sort of a bummer that Uprising has zero gray-box cards at all.
Frantic digging seems made for stuff like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Davis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
andrewkapish wrote:
Sort of a bummer that Uprising has zero gray-box cards at all.
Frantic digging seems made for stuff like this.
Not too much room to add discard pile text and still get the effects we were looking for. I hear you, though -- I think the game could have more of them and also more of some other mechanics which we've moved away from for now. (Like, the coin ability on Pyromancer. Coin abilities are tough to balance.)

- Nathan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Minnigh
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question, can you use Rift Summoner's ability to "break" a Drinker of Blood (or any unbreakable on your turn champion), and then get 2 demon tokens? I would think so since Rift Summoner doesn't have the clause "if you do". Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Minnigh
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not? You do everything you can on a card. It's the same logic as Vital Mission targeting The People's Champion is it not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Davis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
The rulebook covers this on page 18 under Unbreakable. "If you must break an unbreakable champion as part of a power's cost, you can't play that power."

The complete rules also covers this:
3.5.3 If the full amount of the cost cannot be paid, the power cannot be played. E​xample: Crystal Golem has a power of “Break this card: Draw two cards.” If Crystal Golem also had unbreakable, the power couldn’t be used.

Because Rift Summoner's cost is expending it and breaking a champion you control, you must successfully break a champion. If you can't, you can't play the power.

(This is specifically different than getting around part of an event's effect. Vital Mission your Thundarus for value! If Vital Mission said "Banish a champion. If you do, draw two cards and gain some health." that would be different. But because it doesn't check, it doesn't care if it actually worked or not because it is an effect.)

- Nathan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Arnold
msg tools
mbmb
It is not because breaking a champion is the cost to use the ability. If you don't actually break a champion then you're not paying the cost. This is different from Vital Mission on The People's Champion because the only cost to play Vital Mission is one gold. It is similar to Dark Offering in that you actually have to break a champion in order to get the effect. The only difference there is that the wording on Dark Offering is explicit and you only get the effect if you broke a champion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Minnigh
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then maybe that's why I'm confused. Why does Dark Offering say "if you do", and Rift Summoner does not? That seems to mean the "if you do" clause makes it different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Arnold
msg tools
mbmb
Dark offering has to have this wording in order to have the effect desired by the developers. Otherwise it would read something like "Break a 1 champion you control. Break two target champions" and you would be able to break nothing and still break two champions. The "If you do" text is not needed on rift Summoner because it is part of the rules that you muat meet all costs of the power in order to activate.

Edit: When I say "break nothing" I'm implying that you have either no champions in play or only unbreakable ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.