GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,063 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Evolution: Climate» Forums » General

Subject: can't tell the difference between the base game and climate rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frost Mourne
msg tools
mb
heya!
so i finally got my kickstarter pledge of climate base game + evolution climate expansion, along with the promo pack

but i'm confused.
i now have 4 decks of cards (still plastic wrappred) and i still haven't opened because i don't quite grasp which ones are for the base game, and which ones are for the climate espansion.

since i wanted to bring the game to my next gaming night with my pals, i wanted to play the base game (w/o climate espansion) for the first couple of times (just enough to have a sense of difference between the base game and the expansion)
how should i procede?

thanks to everyone!
(sorry about my grammar)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Hayward
United States
Clio
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jealous! I haven't received my copy yet.

I'm confused about your worry though. Evolution Climate IS a base game. If you got the original Evolution, then you have two standalone games. On the Kickstarter they offered a conversion kit if you already had the original, but you only need Climate, as many of the mechanics are the same (only the waterhole has changed I think? Someone can correct me on that).

If you got the flight expansion I think there's a way to put it into Climate, but I don't know if that's been detailed yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I understand what you purchased, but I'll try to help...

The Evolution cards come in two shrink wrapped sets. The top card of one set is Foraging and the top card of the other set is Ambush. You should unwrap these two sets of cards and shuffle them together. These are the cards that come in Evolution.

I'm not sure what the other cards are for or where they came from. Also, did you purchase "CLIMATE stand-alone" or "CLIMATE conversion kit"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frost Mourne
msg tools
mb
this is the pledge i've choosen to buy, i actually wrote to NSG asking which level i should have pledged to have both games.

okay so i have the foragin and the ambush the ambush "decks", and you say these are for the climate "stand alone", since they also contain the 30 climate events cards

i guess the other 2 decks of cards are for the climate base game? they have long neck and claws as first cards.

(the back of ALL the cards is the same except for the 30 climate events cards, it didn't helpt me understand)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roddy
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards in Climate have snowflake or sun symbols in addition to a food number. Have a look in the image files on BGG, or the Gigantism promo card in the BGG store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itchywookie wrote:
The cards in Climate have snowflake or sun symbols in addition to a food number. Have a look in the image files on BGG, or the Gigantism promo card in the BGG store.

This

Here's an example of the differences:

Look at the symbols on the lower right-hand side of the cards. Specifically, look at the green Foraging card. Notice that it only has a single leaf with the number 6 in it. Now look at the other two cards. Notice how they also have a leaf symbol with a number, but they also have a "notch" in the art above the leaf with another symbol -- in this case, a single sun on the Carnivore and a single snowflake on the Mud Wallowing.

Hope that helps!

**edit: got to give credit for the image since it's not mine. https://theplayersaid.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/wp-1471118...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam

Santee
California
msg tools
mourne wrote:
this is the pledge i've choosen to buy, i actually wrote to NSG asking which level i should have pledged to have both games.

okay so i have the foragin and the ambush the ambush "decks", and you say these are for the climate "stand alone", since they also contain the 30 climate events cards

i guess the other 2 decks of cards are for the climate base game? they have long neck and claws as first cards.

(the back of ALL the cards is the same except for the 30 climate events cards, it didn't helpt me understand)

Here is the player aid for Evolution: Climate. It shows the pictures of all the cards to include for Evolution Climate.
https://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic2943040.jpg

For playing the base game of Evolution with Evolution: Climate Standalone follow the instructions and get the rulebook for the base game of Evolution from the following link below.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1923120194/evolution-cl...

The other cards (Claws, Coprophagia, Inesctivore, Mimicry, Timid, and Trampling) are promo cards, so you might want to wait a bit to use them. "These are limited print run cards designed to give our biggest fans a chance to experiment with fun, new ideas. Some cards are charming and silly, and others are rough drafts of traits we might introduce in a future expansion." For more details about using promos see the link below.

Similar to the promo cards the scenarios and the plant mini-expansion are just for fun; they are not needed to play the base game of Evolution nor Evolution: Climate. (Below is a picture of all the stretch goal content--promo cards, scenarios, and mini-expansion, for this kickstarter.)
https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/005/575/636/a73d6b469851777...

I Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fecundaloon wrote:

For playing the base game of Evolution with Evolution: Climate Standalone follow the instructions and get the rulebook for the base game of Evolution from the following link below.

To the OP, you did not get a deck for Climate and a deck for the base game. You got Climate and promos. You can play the base game by taking out the Climate specific stuff as noted in the KS link above.

However, here's an easier way to think about it. In the back of the rule book, for both Base and Climate, there is a list of trait cards that provides you details on how to play that card. If you are going to play Base you are only playing with the cards listed in the back of that rule book. Climate adds some more cards, see the back of the Climate rule book. It also add 6 more Carnivores so remove 6 Carnivores when you make a Base deck. Any other cards left over are your promos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirpoonga wrote:
Fecundaloon wrote:

To the OP, you did not get a deck for Climate and a deck for the base game. You got Climate and promos. You can play the base game by taking out the Climate specific stuff as noted in the KS link above.

However, here's an easier way to think about it. In the back of the rule book, for both Base and Climate, there is a list of trait cards that provides you details on how to play that card. If you are going to play Base you are only playing with the cards listed in the back of that rule book. Climate adds some more cards, see the back of the Climate rule book. It also add 6 more Carnivores so remove 6 Carnivores when you make a Base deck. Any other cards left over are your promos.

Agreed.
The other items to take out are the Climate event cards. And when playing, ignore the climate track and any climate specific info on the cards that are left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.