Hide
10 Posts

Tide of Iron: Next Wave» Forums » Rules

Subject: D-Day Scenario by Bill Jaffe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Maynard
msg tools
I downloaded this free scenario and am hoping to use it as a way of introducing the game to my brother in a few weeks. I think it is more fun and better reflects the game than Normandy Farm. The only thing is the special rule is written rather strangely. It reads, "The Americans are performing advance actions and have spent 1 movement point already." Does this mean that they can only move 3 hexes (four with an officer)when performing advance actions? Does it apply only in the first turn since they start in half hexes? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus A
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Below is from Bill Jaffe (as annotated in this scenario's listing in the TOI files section).
----------------------

Jon Darlington suggested this clarification for the special rule and i consider it official sorry for any confusion

"During the first round every American squad must use the Advance action, and must end its movement on a full hex. Each American squad receives one fewer movement point than normal when Advancing on the first turn."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Maynard
msg tools
Thanks that makes sense. Just playtested it about 4 times. Once you figure out the strategy for Americans, it is pretty balanced and fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hss Hss
Norway
flag msg tools
Where can I find it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus A
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Below is the link to "D-Day Scenario" by Bill Jaffe.

www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/118734/d-day-scenario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hss Hss
Norway
flag msg tools
senseiofthesqueegee wrote:
Thanks that makes sense. Just playtested it about 4 times. Once you figure out the strategy for Americans, it is pretty balanced and fun!

Hmmm. I haven't play tested this one my self, but for me this seems like a walkover in favor of the USA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hss Hss
Norway
flag msg tools
But maybe I'm mistaken. It does depend a lot of how it is played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Maynard
msg tools
Personally, I think that the first scenario should be tilted in the Allie's favor (if your new player wishes to play as Allies) to get them hooked. At the same mark, it should be a challenge (not like the 29th scenarios) for them. This scenario (I find) does both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
senseiofthesqueegee wrote:
I think it is more fun and better reflects the game than Normandy Farm.

If you mean that Normandy Farm is not an introductory scenario in the sense that it requires a good knowledge of the system and use of probably all types of possible actions available to the Allied player, you may well be right. I haven't played this D-day scenario myself, but at first glance it does look more straightforward. Normandy Farm is intended to be introductory in the sense that both players will experience the lethality of an MG in op-fire as well as figuring out means to suppress it while still retaining enough speed and firepower to make it to the objective. In that regard, it should definitely be a very challenging scenario for experienced players alike, which was the intention. It's a tactical puzzle, as it were. Considering myself to be an experienced player, I personally often find the true introductory scenarios a bit boring, but yes, they certainly have their uses!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hss Hss
Norway
flag msg tools
TOI is very skill based. If you don't know how to handle an MG, it become very though for the attacker. But if you do, it may become so very much more difficult.

Having the newbie play the easy side may be very wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.