Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
OK Ediciones: Juegos de autor en Argentina - facebook.com/okediciones
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys,
First time in several moths, i'm running low on jobs on graphic design on boardgames, I usually got several jobs trough this forum, but it seems the river went dry

I don't want to go back to web design or stuff like that, so i appreciate your input.

Does anyone have tips to share on places to find jobs?
If anyone is curious about my skills, you can check my portfolio at www.okartstudio.com

Any advice is great help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Wocken
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
Freelance Game Graphic Designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It never hurts to attend game conventions. I've gotten numerous jobs from meeting face to face with various publishers. Good luck, I know that the cycle of feast or famine is very real as a full time freelancer.

–Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastián Koziner
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
pandawear wrote:
It never hurts to attend game conventions. I've gotten numerous jobs from meeting face to face with various publishers. Good luck, I know that the cycle of feast or famine is very real as a full time freelancer.

–Peter

Being from Argentina keeps it impossibe, so i'm sadly far from this option.
The cicle is real... but I just never got to the feast yet, hahaha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Peter that face to face meetings at conventions is really the best way to go. I feel the pain of distance that you do, being based in Australia, but I made the investment of travelling to Essen last year and it was well worth it. Not always possible, I understand, but it's a great way to make connections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Wocken
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
Freelance Game Graphic Designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ianotoole wrote:
Agree with Peter that face to face meetings at conventions is really the best way to go. I feel the pain of distance that you do, being based in Australia, but I made the investment of travelling to Essen last year and it was well worth it. Not always possible, I understand, but it's a great way to make connections.

In the US as a freelancer, you can also write off a convention (price of admission, plane tickets/transportation, hotel stay, food, business cards, etc.) as business expenses, which should lower your taxes as a business. It might not net neutral, but it's the cost of doing business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastián Koziner
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ianotoole wrote:

I was thinking on going last year, to show my game Oni and make some connections, but was a father this october, so was impossible.

I'm preparing for next year, can you tell me more about your experience? Would be totally helpful to prepare myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.