Randy Nguyen
United States
California
flag msg tools
It was pointed out to me, that this game has a real lack of trashing cards to thin your deck. There are some cards like the one where you can trash your burgles and some spells that let you trash one card on purchase (but this one doesnt really do much IMO). But in general there is really little ways to thin out your deck. And if you are lucky enough to get the card to trash your burgles, I found that player has a big advantage as they get to hit their key strategy in their deck better. What are your thoughts on this?

Also, I was thinking of a variant where you can buy cards for your opponents to use so they acquire clank or get cards that generates clank for them. Not sure how to do this mechanism yet as the cost of buying the cards for other players should be increased or decreased. This was just a random idea that could be a little fun. Unless you get really lucky on movement, I found that rushing a cheap artifact really didn't work to well as there is enough time for everyone to grab one and leave while collection more points from the market. Hopefully adding more clank to make a person die would "fix" this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game runs shorter (less shuffles) than other deckbuilders. So culling, while great, doesn't have as huge an impact on the game as some others in my opinion. Because of the need for people to feel pressure from making clank, you can't have too much culling or you completely lose that tension point. That's why there are only a few tokens that can even trash your Stumbles. An early Master Thief can only cull about 4 Burgles over the course of the game. Other players need to take heed and keep that player in check by leaving early if they think that person is getting to strong. Plus it makes your buys more critical since you aren't going to see the card as often as you might like.

I do agree that an expansion should include some direct interference with other players. It seems like this theme is begging for some direct player interaction. There are occasions where someone can run away with the game, but fortunately the game isn't so long that I feel this is a serious problem. Many deckbuilders have a few strategies that when they come together are hard to stop. I consider that a feature and not a bug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above. I've reviewed this for Board Game Quest and the issue came up for me. I would love to see cards that do this or use the entombing mechanism of Valley of the Kings.

Again, not a HUGE deal that it's missing, but this isn't a game that solely focuses on the deck building.

EDIT: The one place where culling can be hugely beneficial is if a player has bought too many of a particular card, such as Mercenary and they can't move enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play four player, and I 'd say that maybe four cards get culled in total for a game. I find this acceptable. As already mentioned, the game just isn't long enough and the decks just don't get big enough to warrant much more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Limoges
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I too believe that this game does not require too many deck culling cards or the clank would become an issue. It's all about balance. Right now, more clank reducing cards, more deck culling cards, etc. would make it easier to stay longer in the dungeon and throw off some strategy.

I am pretty sure that there will be an expansion, and when games are a little longer, deck culling cards might be added, I guess
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Abrams
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deck culling cards just need to generate clank on their own. That way you can't get rid of all the clank cards until you're done culling your deck, at which point your clank generating cards will be coming up faster and faster.

Also, +1 for more direct player interaction, and for map modification type things, etc. This game just oozes potential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.