Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/jury-finds-re...

Wonder how big the damages are going to be. Plaintiff is asking for $7.5 million.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonder if Phi Kappa Psi is going to sue now...?

Can an organization sue for defamation, or does it have to be an individual?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
A corporation can sue if they can show that lies affected their business negatively.

But a frat?

I'm guessing no.

There has to be damage to win libel. Can a frat's reputation be damaged? Rich, indulgent, white, alcoholic boys, with a propensity to rape is how they are commonly viewed. I think they'd have a tough time in court.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Glad they nailed Rolling Stone on this one. One of the most poorly researched articles I've ever read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
A corporation can sue if they can show that lies affected their business negatively.

But a frat?

I'm guessing no.

There has to be damage to win libel. Can a frat's reputation be damaged? Rich, indulgent, white, alcoholic boys, with a propensity to rape is how they are commonly viewed. I think they'd have a tough time in court.

I was looking into it, I guess the fraternity's lawsuit was dismissed because nobody specific was named.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
jageroxorz wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

But a frat?

I'm guessing no.

I was looking into it, I guess the fraternity's lawsuit was dismissed because nobody specific was named.

#FratLivesMatter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.