Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Ibershoff
United States
Berea
KY
flag msg tools
mb
Looking for recommendations on games (we mostly play euro) that require lots of basic arithmetic, especially multiplication and division.

I do some casual math tutoring for a homeschooled child, 10 yr/o. He is not bad with math, but finds it boring and certainly not strong, and we try to play games to make practicing math seem useful and fun.

Games we currently play for this purpose are:
Dominion (usually with sets chosen to provide lots of arithmetic choices, i.e. big money with lots of buys, upgrades, forges etc.)
Stone Age

Planning on getting Powergrid, its been a long time, but I remember one of the things I didn't like about it was feeling like I was just out-mathing my opponents. Obviously, that'd be great in this scenario.

Any ideas would be great!! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take it Easy!
Take it to the Limit!
Take it Higher!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Johnson
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
24 Game

An example card might have the numbers 2, 4, 5, and 11. How can you get an answer of 24 using all four numbers and addition, subtraction, multiplication, and/or division?

Answer:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
5 + 11 = 16
16 - 4 = 12
12 x 2 = 24

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdoms - exercises addition, subtraction, and multiplication skills. It plays quickly for 2 - 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jjpuzzles wrote:
24 Game

An example card might have the numbers 2, 4, 5, and 11. How can you get an answer of 24 using all four numbers and addition, subtraction, multiplication, and/or division?

Answer:

5 + 11 = 16
16 - 4 = 12
12 x 2 = 24

Looks like this also works:
2 x 4 = 8
8 + 5 + 11 = 24
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Leaving Earth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will's Mama
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muggins! You won't find it at a game store but you can find it online. I bought it at a homeschool convention for the very purpose you mentioned. The company makes a whole line of math games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Ibershoff
United States
Berea
KY
flag msg tools
mb
Those are some good recommendations, thanks folks.

I'd also be interested in any games, like stone age or powergrid, where the math is not so much a mechanic of the game, but just a consistent requirement to play. We're not intimidated by recommended age, or difficulty.

The child I work with is notably behind my kids in math, and my children are younger, so there are some difficult ego issues that come up when we play games together where math skill is the winning mechanic. Sometimes better is just where we can help him get the math right as we play, and strategizing wins the day.

I will probably get some of these suggestions and mix them in, they look fun and I think he might be inspired to try harder to get the math right to win.

Thanks Alot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smash Up is a math frenzy that requires constant math skills. Its artwork is tailored towards kids.

I printed out the base cards that are available on BGG and used those to help keep track of the score on each base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Carlsen
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
badge
Tri-City Area Gaming
mbmbmbmb
Krypto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Kenny Dorham || Trompeta Toccata || Whistle Stop || Una Mas
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two that my grandchildren enjoy:

Straw
Zeus on the Loose

Both are simple in terms of math skills, just adding and subtracting, but the fact the kids request them is important. I figure any math practice that they enjoy is a plus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you go get resources in Stone Age, you have to roll dice and then divide the total rolled by whatever resource you are trying to claim. Food is 2, Wood 3, Brick 4, Stone 5 and Gold 6. Your kid will certainly learn basic division playing this game.

Plus, the game is fantastic. An all-time classic and great worker placement gateway game.

Edit: I'm an idiot and didn't see you already mentioned Stone Age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.