Shadowrun: Crossfire» Forums » General

Subject: Does it feel at all like the SNES version of Shadowrun rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Tyner
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Shadowrun on the SNES was one of my all time favorite games. I never played any other shadowrun games or the RPGS. Picked this up hoping it gives me a nostalgia kick. Going to learn how to play and introduce it to my brother whom also loved the game.

Thanks for any insight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreux Barbier
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it's a form of a deck builder.
You use your cards to generate pools of points of different types. You use those points to defeat obstacles, and try to buy cards that improve your starting deck. It's really hard, so after around 30 plays you might have enough XP to buy a character upgrade or two.
I recommend you watch a game play video before you buy this and make sure it's what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MC Meeple wrote:
Shadowrun on the SNES was one of my all time favorite games.

Have some GG for this commentary and buy yourself a fancy Shadowrun Microbadge or whatever you like (there is unfortunately no SR SNES Microbadge though) . I loved Shadowrun on the SNES too.

That said you may not getting the biggest nostalgia kick out of Shadowrun: Crossfire. More because of the fact that the SNES game had its very own feeling and hasn't had much relation to the Shadowrun RPG source materials in the means of original character and world art. But that is what Crossfire uses all along, the artwork of the pen and paper RPG.

There are also no locations to visit in SR: Crossfire and nothing to explore. No shady bars, no dirty alleys or junk-yards. I like Crossfire a lot but this is probably its biggest downside that there is no RPG-like feeling of exploration which was a big part of my enjoyment with the videogame. The cardgame is all about fighting and overcoming your enemies in a quite puzzly way. An enviroment/location deck would have worked wonders to enhance this aspect imho.

So SR: Crossfire does not remind me much on the SNES game with its very unique kind of nostalgic atmosphere. But this does not mean there is no theme in Crossfire, it is just much more hidden and you will need some imagination. Also beside the differences I mentioned this is still both in the Shadowrun universe and you will have Trolls, Dwarves and Elves and lots of guns and magic and cyberstuff.

Bottomline is I think you will definitely have a good time with your brother. Maybe you two can merge the nostalgia inside of you with the new atmosphere Crossfire brings on the table to create a great experience. After all the SNES game was pretty hard (or was I just too bad at it?), especially in the beginning, and SR: Crossfire is some tough game that will kick your asses like a biotic enhanced Troll at midnight.

I would love to hear from you how your experiences were.

Until then... hit hard, run fast, Chummer!

Edit: And while you are at it keep playing this amazing Youtube Playlist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's any consolation, Shadowrun: Dragonfall – Director's Cut and Shadowrun: Hong Kong on the PC both do a very good job of capturing that old SNES game feeling, albeit in a bit more linear fashion. Shadowrun: Crossfire actually reminds me more of the random jobs from the Sega Genesis version than anything else. In any event, if you're a Shadowrun fan, Crossfire is an excellent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leonce wrote:

It's funny because right now I'm looking for playlists to play this game with, and that's how I heard for the first time about the SNES game (I know Shadowrun from the pen and paper RPG). Since I have not played the SNES game I have no nostalgia about it, and am looking for playlists for the runs: this one seems quite ok so far. If anybody has other suggestions I'm interested (and sorry for the threadjacking ninja)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Tyner
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Leonce wrote:

I would love to hear from you how your experiences were.

Until then... hit hard, run fast, Chummer!

Thanks for the feedback. I have played quite a few games and I do enjoy the game a lot. Cool seeing all the different obstacles coming up, guess I just enjoy it even though outside the universe there is not much in common. But I guess I don't know of many boardgames that give a real videogame feel.

So I even managed to get my wife to give it a go and, after figuring out the damage pooling rules, have moved our two characters up to 10 karma. That was from one successfully completed Crossfire mission and the rest from successful aborts. I like the challenge and that the game does a good job of trying to throw too much at you. It invokes a very satisfying feeling when you manage to pull off a nice combo or survive something like One Hot Minute.

Also thanks for the playlist link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.