Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zachary Ruiz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Hey all,

I've posted a PDF to the Files section containing my attempt at creating a rules light RPG system to extend the Conan boardgame (I don't see it at the moment but I think it may need approval?). It adds 10 additional non-combat attributes, a Professions system (like minor versions of FATE Aspects), rules for using non-combat attributes, some advice for Overlords on creating scenarios, and Character Creation and Advancement systems. It's totally compatible with the pre-made characters from the board game, you can just bolt on the non-combat portions of the system.

It is very much in the early stages of design, but since I lack a consistent group I thought I would toss it on here and see if people are interested in this sort of thing. I know it won't be for everyone, my taste in RPGs tends to run more towards FATE/Barbarians of Lemuria than it does towards Shadowrun and D&D, so my game design does as well. It's not a perfect system by any means, there may be massive crippling balance flaws, but I figured it'd be a fun way to get extra use out of all the King Pledge goodies.

Over the weekend I hope to come up with several sample characters as well as give non-combat stats for the base game heroes.

The other thing that I really think is missing is some sort of tier system for both Skills and Spells. That way there could be progressive pricing and not all of them available for purchase right away. That will take more tinkering.

I appreciate any and all feedback you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Ruiz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I've gone ahead and uploaded a PDF of the rules to my Google Drive. The link is below. This is a slightly updated version of the document I posted to the files section (which is still awaiting approval).

Happy to hear any feedback y'all have.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3LJb0CKIrmZNU1sT0J4aVh4bFE...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read it; it has some interesting ideas.
While, personally, I would not use the Conan system for a full RPG type game, I could see it interesting to use something similar to play out some scenes between battles in a homebrew campaign/linked scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Ruiz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah it's very much an alpha-status project right now. Something that experienced GMs can toy around with if they enjoy the board game's combat system. I find it replicates the cinematic but brutal combat of S&S well, and once you remove the competitive aspect balancing becomes less of an issue (both because the GM can fudge things and the players have incentive to retreat/"lose" rather than fight to the end).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.