Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going through my collection during my occasional purges when I came across Leaving Earth. What a game. First of all, it took forever to find the right group to play with. Then when we finally played it 1 of the 3 of us got burned out. Meanwhile myself and the other were totally absorbed and focused on doing our best.

When ended with an average score and spent the next hour just talking about the game's mechanics and our choices. All things evident of an excellent game.

But that was many months ago and none of us have ever been compelled to play again. We talk about it fondly but perhaps the brain burning elements aren't suiting our current desires. I love the game conceptually, in practice, and mostly visually- I just don't think I'll ever play it again; and not for lack of time, as we've played many more absorbing games since.

I think it was just a fantastic experience that is better remembered as a one-time thing. To play again would just not have the same effect.

Is this the guiding premise behind legacy games and stuff like TIME stories?

What games do you love but just won't play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can certainly understand that. I don't think I've quite played a game like that, but there are games in my collection that don't get played often simply because of play time or game weight or brain burning in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has happened to me from tastes changing.

In high school I loved Conquest of the Empire and have good memories, but no interest in picking it up or replaying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 certainly falls into this category, but that is pretty much by design, so it does not really count.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Craig
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how I am with Arkham HorrorI played it constantly when I first got into the hobby.

But now a days I just never want to play it again. Probably got burned out on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've certainly played games that I love because they have lots of really interesting mechanics that I never want to play again because they have too many unrelated mechanics that don't fit together and become tedious, so I'd say yes, a game like that can exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Dorito
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
badge
Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exactly how I feel about Forbidden Stars

Such a fun game but I won't ever play it again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buckley
England
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
23rd June: Black Thursday :(
mbmbmbmbmb
slylysylar wrote:
This is exactly how I feel about Forbidden Stars

Such a fun game but I won't ever play it again...

Could it be argued that the fact you don't want to play it again implies that you don't love it any more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few epic wargames I really enjoyed, but the amount of effort required to set-up and play them means I doubt I will ever again (any time soon at least).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karlyn Singh
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Video games? Yes. There are several narrative driven games which I've played once or twice that I have no desire to play again but love anyways.

Board games? Probably not. I used to rate The Resistance a 10 and would have said I loved it at the time. Nowadays, while I still appreciate the game's design as much as I used to and still think it's a fantastic game, since I no longer desire to play it I would not say that I love it.

Edit: I guess this really comes down to the style of game and what I look for in board vs video games. I'm sure it's possible that a board game offers a similar experience to one of those narrative video games (ie Pandemic Legacy), however I have not personally played one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ofiesh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TIME Stories and Leaving Earth are both in my collection. It's not that I won't play them again, just super challenging to assemble the right group of players, so these are RARELY played but still loved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Kuolema wrote:
VI used to rate The Resistance a 10 and would have said I loved it at the time. Nowadays, while I still appreciate the game's design as much as I used to and still think it's a fantastic game, since I no longer desire to play it I would not say that I love it.

I'm with you on that one. Resistance was such a revelation to me in terms of the experience a social board games could create. I've had a lot of fun with it but I'm beyond burned out of it. I don't ever want to play again. It simply ran it's course for me. Great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.