Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ezra Denney
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love negotiation games. They are all about emergent gameplay and player interaction. In both those regards, Tiefe Taschen (Deep Pockets) is a gem of a game.

I was excited to pick up Tiefe Taschen at Essen this year, and after a few plays, I am sure this will be a regular in my playing rotation.

How It Plays:

The game is fairly simple. Each round there is a President who is tasked with splitting up a pool of money (one money card is drawn for each player, the money cards range from 1,000 to 5,000) between all the players at the table. All the players then vote on the President's submission.

Negotiation, bribes, bluffing, and shenanigans all ensue until everyone has played one of their voting cards. As soon as all cards are played, the results are tallied, and if the proposal passed, everyone gets the money in front of them, and the current President stays in office for the next round. If the proposal failed, the current President is out for this round, President passes to the right, and we do it all over again.

You play until the Bankrupt card is drawn, and whoever has the most money wins.

What I Think

I really enjoy the way Tiefe Taschen takes the coalition building aspect of Resistance and pairs it with the loot splitting of Cash & Guns. Add in the bribery from Article 27 (where you only get the bribe if you do the prescribed action) and a really fun blackmail element (you have an investigator meeple that you can use as a bluff, since it only has an impact if you also play a blackmail card) and you have a lot going on in a small package.

Our games have been under an hour, and usually involve serious grudges being formed. The player interaction in this game is fantastic. You have to negotiate and bribe to get anything to happen, especially if you are not President. The rules are in English, and very approachable. If you like negotiation games, Tiefe Taschen should be in your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Z S
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Having played the game a few times at a board game festival, I did not find that it had much in the way of negotiation with our group.

We had 5 players, and the strategy seemed to be split between clever division of the amounts as President to encourage less to vote against, the use of the blackmail card, and the 'take from the bank' card.

The bribes never worked, and I'm not sure when anyone would want to bribe to do one of the 'Anything except...' options.

The game had more of a bluff and deduction feel about it (but this may be because we had played those sort of games for the previous 4 hours).

I'm not sure if we played it right, but we also had the President pass on to the first player that played the reject card, not the player to the right. This gave an incentive to play the reject, which I feel is needed as many time no reject was played since there are many other ways to get money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Zimmermann
Germany
Kaiserslautern
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
zadj wrote:

We had 5 players, and the strategy seemed to be split between clever division of the amounts as President to encourage less to vote against, the use of the blackmail card, and the 'take from the bank' card.

It's a good strategy to find a clever distribution. But since usually each player wants get more money than average, not everyone can be happy with the outcome of a round. But it highly depends on the group how challenging the presidents job is. And even players with much money often get greedy.

zadj wrote:

The bribes never worked, and I'm not sure when anyone would want to bribe to do one of the 'Anything except...' options.

This also depends on the group. It is expensive to bribe others, but it gives you more strategies. E.g. as president in a 5 player game I could bribe two players instead of finding a good distribution. And sometimes bribes are just bluffs.

zadj wrote:

I'm not sure if we played it right, but we also had the President pass on to the first player that played the reject card, not the player to the right. This gave an incentive to play the reject, which I feel is needed as many time no reject was played since there are many other ways to get money.

You played it correctly. If the distribution was rejected, the first player that played reject becomes the next president.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.