Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Private number 7; the Koninklijke Ondersteuning is one of the two most expensive privates and gives the owner a share of the NRS (yellow) company. If someone has bought that and you go before them in the first stock round, why wouldn't you start NRS.
-it gets the money for the free share from the bank
-you can then par NRS higher knowing the bank will flesh out the funds
-you can invest in a third share in another company and possibly ding its' stock value later.
-you can keep a sum of personal money that, with the dividends from OR 2 will allow you to buy a cheap share in the second stock round which is usually very hard to do. That will give you a small advantage in certificate earnings that may snowball.

Add in the fact that its' starting spot (South Amsterdam) has a nice 2-route into North Amsterdam for $70 in yellow and $90 in green; the highest on the map and a host of cities and towns south and west to connect to.
So why wouldn't this be an automatic choice?
Other than specifically wanting to try out another strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played SoH specifically, but generally the company that has a share go with a private is designed to be started in SR1. If the company is good, arranging it so that it's you is part of the strategy.

The private is probably still good: free shares are free shares, and you still have the private afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes but I'm not questioning buying the private. I'm asking why not automatically start yellow if someone else has bought the private since it brings benefits to financing yellow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your logic seems plausible to me. One reason for not starting the NRS might be to force the owner of P7 to open itthemselves, possibly at a lower initial price. They have a share in the NRS and you might want to make that share worth less so that they get less benefit from the purchase of P7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fluffyevil wrote:
-you can then par NRS higher knowing the bank will flesh out the funds

I'm not sure I agree with this.

First, a higher par price gives the owner of the Koninklijke Ondersteuning private more free moneys, since he owns a share. If you start it at a low price, you make his share worth less.

And secondly you want more certificates in the early game. In general a low par price gives you more certificates, while a high par price gives you less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That still doesn't nullify the advantages of having someone else investing in your company so why not start this company over all the others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, why not? There being a right move isn't necessarily a bad thing! The intention of the design is that someone will start the company. If starting it is really good, then you want that person to be you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.