Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Vanhoorne
Belgium
Bredene
West Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
Hello
First of all this game is so great! My group really loves it.
We had 5 games now and only have the game 2 week (ks all in)
First 2 games where learning so the hero's won!
3rd game my friend was the sin and he played hard on us.
We took the corruption mission and the darkpast cards dropt us like flies.
We got destroyed in 3 rounds.
4th game i was sin again and played a nice sin... so heros won.
5th game another friend was sin and he went evil all the way.. he really destroyed everyone with his avatar ( small map and reacted everytime with avatar).

Now... are we doing something wrong? People say the sin player should play like he really want to kill us / annoy us... but looks like there is no chance of winning then...
Or is it the faith team? We play with the hero's of the starter box. We tried ragnarok to... but that was really bad...
Maybe its becouse the sin player overhear our tactics?
We also play 1 sin and 3 hero's.
I got a feeling its so easy to destroy hero's. If your really lucky you can one shot them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Peacock
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The game is designed to play as hard as you can, whether it's Sin or Faith.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Jørgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In my experience this game is fairly balanced between sin and faith players. If they are both experienced in the game. If both sides are new to the game sin will have the easier job while FAITH gets punished very hard for every mistake they make. However no matter what you should always go as hard as you can against your opponent (unless he is still learning the game). The Others is not a dungeon crawler and the sin player is not your friendly gamemaster. I am certain that the designers did not intend for the
roles to be like that but in the end the game is still yours and so you guys should play it as you think is the most fun just don't expect any mercy from an outside player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Four heroes is definitely the way to go. I've played it a dozen times and have yet to see a hero victory. In Terror missions I think it will happen eventually.

In corruption and redemption missions the heroes need some luck, otherwise it is very, very difficult for them.

Redemption missions have hidden information and if the heroes chose the wrong way to go it is almost always impossible to recover.

Some overlord/acolyte/scenario combinations are weaker than others and some heroes are more or less adequate depending on the scenario. The girl that moves monsters around is the most useful hero in every scenario. If you are playing with only the basic stuff, the first terror mission is definitely winnable.

In my opinion the game is balanced enough to give heroes a chance, but clearly favors the overlord. Most players here disagree with me though and think the game is balanced. in any case, I think the game is fun .

But with three heroes I am absolutely sure that your heroes are fighting an uphill battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Elliker
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Both sides should play with the aim to beat the other side and win the game. Otherwise, the Sin player will asking him/herself rather quickly why the hell s/he ain't playing a role-playing Game. If your hero players have problems winning the game, check some threads on these boards concerning strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I'm French and thanks to *^ù$*ùing Hanjin I haven't played yet.
But my opinion about OL games is that they usualy tend to be too easy for the heroes (forcing the OL to become a sort of benevolent GM)

Heroes must have a hard time winnng IMO and to get this tension, they need to lose quite a few games before they start knowing how to win. This is the price for being... heroic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do wish that there was an easier way to scale it up a bit for the heroes, for newer players. Together with my friend who also owns the game, we have collectively played six times and heroes have never won. Seems like it would take a near perfect game on their part. Personally i have trouble playing to win against a group of players unless I feel a bit like the underdog, not the other way around. I kept trying to set the heroes up for an epic win but they still couldn't pull it off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Appel
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TyDeL wrote:
I do wish that there was an easier way to scale it up a bit for the heroes

There are plenty of easy ways. Have you tried giving the heroes some free upgrades to start with, or giving them free extra turn tokens, or cutting down on the Sin cards or monster respawns?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.