Hide
10 Posts

The Others» Forums » General

Subject: Any good with 3 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre Smothers
msg tools
Usually these types of games are just usually better with a full 5 person game, but the way in which this one plays leads me to believe that this one might not be so bad? Any opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
This will play just fine with 3 if you are willing that the two non-sin players play 2 characters each (official rule)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Bjerregaard
Denmark
Grenaa
Danmark
flag msg tools
mb
This game is even good with just two players. I think three might be the ideal balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Elliker
Switzerland
flag msg tools
The answer to your question depends on why you think 'these games' (which games do you mean?) are usually better with the maximum player count. If you are speaking about 1vsMany games, my preference is to NOT play with the maximum player count. Mind you this does not mean that you may not play with the maximum number of heroes but simply that the hero players control more than one hero. Most of the time, 1 player just controls the ideal number of heroes (mostly 4) or 2 players split the heroes amongst them (mostly 2 each). However, we do not play RPG-like 1vsMany where there is an emphasis on role playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
3 players gives every player an even number of turn tokens (2 per hero, 4 for the sin), which gives everyone similar amount of play time. With 2 players (one player doing all of the sins), the hero player gets to do a lot more, and with more than 3 players, the sin player gets to do more. If this matters for your game group, than 3 is an ideal number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diversion Architect
msg tools
mbmb
I won't play this with 3 anymore. I will only break it out for groups of 4 or 5. It plays perfectly at either 4 or 5 players.

Part of what makes this game so great is the group discussion of the heroes- from the hero side and from the Sin side. Working together its more exciting to bounce a strategy off of two people instead of just one.

In fact, I've played games where with only two heroes, they tried to avoid discussing since they felt they could more easily mislead the Sin player at the cost of less player interaction- which was reasonable considering they had two heroes a piece to act with.

That was way less fun for me as the Sin player, since well... no one talked. It's a board game, some banter and discussion is part of what I enjoy at the table. The folks I was playing with were more concerned with winning than the experience, and they won, so I can't fault them. It's just not a way I enjoy gaming.

It really was designed as a 4 or 5 player game, and has options to play with less, but you lose a chunk of what makes it great. Since it's one of my favorite games, I definitely don't want to play it at less than it's most fun. So for my 2¢, I wouldn't play it at 2 or 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
diversionArchitect wrote:
I won't play this with 3 anymore. I will only break it out for groups of 4 or 5. It plays perfectly at either 4 or 5 players.

Part of what makes this game so great is the group discussion of the heroes- from the hero side and from the Sin side. Working together its more exciting to bounce a strategy off of two people instead of just one.

In fact, I've played games where with only two heroes, they tried to avoid discussing since they felt they could more easily mislead the Sin player at the cost of less player interaction- which was reasonable considering they had two heroes a piece to act with.

That was way less fun for me as the Sin player, since well... no one talked. It's a board game, some banter and discussion is part of what I enjoy at the table. The folks I was playing with were more concerned with winning than the experience, and they won, so I can't fault them. It's just not a way I enjoy gaming.

It really was designed as a 4 or 5 player game, and has options to play with less, but you lose a chunk of what makes it great. Since it's one of my favorite games, I definitely don't want to play it at less than it's most fun. So for my 2¢, I wouldn't play it at 2 or 3.

Im a sore loser, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Daniel
Czech Republic
Ostrava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played it with 3 players several times and it was amazing!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khian Foo
United States
Minot
North Dakota
flag msg tools
This game is different than any other board games which makes this game great but at the same time not everyone likes it. Just like Diversion Architect said, being a sin player can be boring. Think of it this way, you have someone who likes to play board games, likes to win with their own strategy (in other words ego) they love playing sin role. For my group 2-3 players are the best because less time spending on the what to do but focus on the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
diversionArchitect wrote:

You had problems with the players, not the player count. You'd probably feel the same if there were 4 players playing heroes and not talking at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.