Subject: Recommended practice games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Mendenhall
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, I bought this game to play with some friends, unfortunately the group I'm going to play with are only lite gamers (Ticket to ride, monopoly, etc.) Are there any games you'd recommend we play to get them used to some of the mechanics or should we just dive in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I say just dive right in. The actual rules of the game are pretty light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just dive in, it's just reading of cards and die rolls. I would just make sure you understand the turn structure... check out the FAQ for some examples of what costs a time unit and what doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JMendenhall wrote:
Hi, I bought this game to play with some friends, unfortunately the group I'm going to play with are only lite gamers (Ticket to ride, monopoly, etc.) Are there any games you'd recommend we play to get them used to some of the mechanics or should we just dive in?

As long as YOU know they rules, they'll be fine. I don't think learning any other games would benefit them much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Herman
United States
Sussex
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dustin is correct. If you know how movement (TU) and combat work and know what the lock symbol means you should be in very good shape. I would take them through a practice "combat" using the book examples (or maybe a card if you cover the top part up). We had no problems and I'm awful at rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Mendenhall
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
slydog75 wrote:
As long as YOU know they rules, they'll be fine. I don't think learning any other games would benefit them much.

Hey there - this comment speaks directly to a question I was going to ask: Can I play this with a few light gamers who aren't the type to dig into a rulebook?

I recently played Mysterium for the first time and really appreciated how the guy who brought it over could basically be "the GM" as the ghost and the other four of us didn't need to know anything other than "try to guess what I'm communicating to you with these cards" (a simplification, but you know what I mean).

I'm wondering if TS is the sort of thing I can just give a few general rules for and then basically act as GM while the other players just read things on the cards and talk about figuring out the puzzle.

Would others agree with Adam's comment, or should I reserve this for my "real" game group with all our rules lawyers? TY!

Edit: I guess I could add: what if there are only three of us? Will that diminish enjoyment? Should I really shoot to have 4?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played TIME Stories? There are several rules wrinkles that you may wish to read about in the Official FAQ.

Otherwise, as long as you know the rules, you should be able to lead new players easily through the game, not even general rules are necessary before hand.

Set up the Base and start them off reading those cards in turn, which will complete the set up. Then put the Base away and lay out the first room and explain how agents enter a room, how they interact with cards and to watch out for locks. You can explain tests, shields and dice when someone encounters a test. The rest is just paying attention to what they see and hear.

I've only ever played with a team of four, so have no opinion on the merits of three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
Scooperman wrote:
Have you played TIME Stories? There are several rules wrinkles that you may wish to read about in the Official FAQ.

Otherwise, as long as you know the rules, you should be able to lead new players easily through the game, not even general rules are necessary before hand.

Set up the Base and start them off reading those cards in turn, which will complete the set up. Then put the Base away and lay out the first room and explain how agents enter a room, how they interact with cards and to watch out for locks. You can explain tests, shields and dice when someone encounters a test. The rest is just paying attention to what they see and hear.

I've only ever played with a team of four, so have no opinion on the merits of three.

Cool, thanks - that's what I was hoping for.

I've not played it yet - just got it from my BGG Secret Santa and have been reading the rules trying to get a sense of it (looks like I got the updated version with clarifications in the rulebook).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Agent Joshua to the T.I.M.E Agency, good luck out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.