Subject: Just arrived: initial impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I just got my copy today, and of course had to punch it right away. I just wanted to give my initial impressions on the production quality. I've already played the prototype, thanks to Dan paying a visit to the Twin Cities, so I know that part is solid.

First off, it's a nice, thick box. The artwork really pops and the UV spots are some nice bling. I had some minor peeling of the paper on one edge, but it's such a minor thing that I hesitate to mention it. If I was bothered enough, I'd glue it down. I probably won't, though, knowing how much boxes get banged up in transport anyway. The sturdiness of this box makes me think it will be structurally sound even with that use and abuse.

Punching the cardboard out was a treat, as everything was nice and heavy. I didn't run across any poorly cut pieces, causing unsightly tears if you aren't extremely diligent. I will qualify and say that just because mine was like that doesn't mean everyone's is. Die cuts can vary over a run as the cutting edges get duller with each slice. Likewise with the printing: everything was printed centered properly in my copy. But this is also something that can drift over a production run so I won't make any promises.

All that said, I felt the quality was most comparable to Suburbia. I didn't get those tiles out and do a side-by-side comparison, but they these feel nice and chunky. The only slightly minor quibble is that eagle-eyed players might be able to tell which tiles are blue or red by looking at them edge on, due to the full-bleed artwork. Having played the game, though, I don't think this will have much of an effect.

And the tray - woo hoo! So glad I splurged for it. It really is a "fancy tray." In fact, I'd say it's the most thoughtful non-3rd party tray I've seen (Loop, Inc. is a close second). Dan clearly put a lot of thought and effort into it. While there isn't "a place for everything", per se, the ones that have to double-up aren't a big deal. I had to throw the dice and start player tiles/pawns in with the rockets and gems. But as they're easy to distinguish from the rest and you take those things out immediately on starting, it's no biggie. I love the inventiveness of the tray dividers (they're cardboard pieces that are part of the punchboard, that then slide into slots in the plastic tray). And the removable tray that fits all the hexagonal tiles just makes me smile.

I locked in the board and gave the fancy tray a little stress test. It held up to mild to medium abuse very well, though when I gave it the ultimate test - slightly opening the box and then turning it around and around and shaking it - some of the coins did jump out of their slots and into the removable tray (or even through the gap into the bottom of the box.) Not perfect, but far better than any other non-3rd party tray. All those wind up making me just throw out the tray and bag everything. I can't see that being the case, here.

The wooden components are all exactly what you'd want. None of mine were slightly misshapen, not adequately painted, or any of the number of things that are sometimes slightly off enough. The same is true of the dice: there's no sloppily painted pips, here. It's always disappointing when this happens, even if the game is still perfectly playable. It just feels disrespectful of the money you're asking customers to pay.

The board also came out looking great, exactly as advertised during the campaign. The printing on the tiles turned out great, too. The manual seems totally in order, but I can't say that I've combed through it, yet.

Well, that about wraps it up. It went on a lot further than I expected. I hope it was of interest to the component-obsessed in the audience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Backstabbing AND Cube Pushing
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am envious that your copy arrived already! Not so in Cleveland. FedEx is setup to e-mail me ASAP upon delivery.

Hopefully I can play this weekend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Annowme wrote:
I am envious that your copy arrived already! Not so in Cleveland. FedEx is setup to e-mail me ASAP upon delivery.

If it makes you slightly less envious, I probably won't get to play it until at least Tuesday.

Maybe not even until next Friday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Crosby
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
The real XB
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:

Count yourself lucky - I just received notification mine is on the way to Aus - ETA 11-15 Nov!!

Nice write up Jason!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary S Douglass
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in Toledo Ohio, and I got mine today. Will probably play it tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
vger7 wrote:
I'm in Toledo Ohio, and I got mine today. Will probably play it tonight.

You're the WORST.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sorich
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy is expected to be delivered tomorrow in Anchorage, Alaska.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luiz Mendes
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I also got mine today, I'll take this opportunity to share my impressions.

First, the box is pretty good. Looks very good, sturdy and fits well on my shelf. The insert, on the other hand, I have mixed feelings. The fancy tray is pretty handy, and it work very well, but it's slightly smaller than I expected, and it doesn't really rest on the insert, it's completely on a hole. This makes it wobble a little bit on the stress tests. However, stuff did not move around that much, so it's fine. The slots for the other resources work pretty well, even leaving everything in their own individual bags (as I tend to do to make things easier). I had some problem with the money, as I put each denomination into it's own bags, but I can hardly fault the producers as the bags that were included were very sturdy and, thus, too thick. It's fine if you bag all coins together, but if you separate you might want to get smaller and thinner ones. No big whoop.

Two things did not have a proper play, sadly. First are the dice, though you can just toss them on the crystal/rocket slot no problems. The one that really made me a bit sad was the expansion tiles, which you just have to find a place for them. I wish they fit on the fancy tray.

Regarding the tiles, I want to see how they will take wear and tear, but they seem good and sturdy. I think they're similar to Lagoon: Land of Druids, and that game had no problems with repeated games. The resource bits are nice wooden chunks, bright colors and pretty sturdy. The crystals are a bit small, but I think any bigger could become cumbersome when playing. And the rockets turned out pretty great.

The board is absolutely great. Good size, everything has its place, it's nice and sturdy, and it does not slide much on my table. I like how it serves as a lid on the insert, it keeps everything in place.

The rulebook is short and well done, though it could be a bit clearer. Some areas are glossed over, specially the initial placing of pawns and how they move. It's not an issue if you're familiar with Glen More, but it could be a little better. But it's not a big issue because it has plenty of examples.

Overall, I'm thoroughly satisfied with the final product. There are some issues, but overall I think it's very handy. Now, I have to make it hit the table, though I think probably this weekend I'll already play some solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
LGMHorus wrote:
it doesn't really rest on the insert, it's completely on a hole. This makes it wobble a little bit on the stress tests.

Did you stack the empty cardboard sprue under the insert? I found that it was a bit more stable when I did. But I do know what you mean.

I also wish it was SLIGHTLY easier to grip and pick up to pull out of the box. It seems like it ALMOST has a good place to pinch it between thumb and forefinger, but not quite. So it takes a bit of wiggling. Another minor quibble, though.

Quote:
The one that really made me a bit sad was the expansion tiles, which you just have to find a place for them. I wish they fit on the fancy tray.

I just stacked them with the Initial Blueprints. That stack fits nice and snug, but not overly tight. Perhaps you are currently putting the player quarters there. I figured throwing them on top of the rockets/gems would be best since you for sure have to get them out every game. On the other hand, the expansion tiles can probably be left in the tray slot.

Quote:
The crystals are a bit small, but I think any bigger could become cumbersome when playing.

You probably already know, but for everyone else: the gems are the standard red acrylic ones you see in games like Istanbul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary S Douglass
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1st play was great! Everyhing is well made and the trays work great. I left the goods in the tray as well as the rockets, crystals and money and it worked out fine. Love the Rockets . I have revised my reference guide for the new look and it should be on the files section as soon as its approved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
The longest distance between any two points is "Out for Delivery." (sigh)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Amey
United States
Eastern Shore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Received my copy last night near Ocean City, MD.

Overall quality of the game inside and out is impressive. And I must say, using the punched boards under the "Fancy Tray" is such a great use of leftover material; such a snug fit to everything in the box.

Excellent Job Daniel. Can't wait to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Backstabbing AND Cube Pushing
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is excellent! We've played twice and both times it was a very tense race to points supremacy. The alternate scoring rubrics make for very different experiences. Packing so much game into so short a production is very impressive.

Lunarchitects definitely fills a unique niche on our shelf, and we're glad to have it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Impressive cardboard, I like it. I think the box art could have used a stronger visual concept, but overall I'm pleased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
jepmn wrote:
You probably already know, but for everyone else: the gems are the standard red acrylic ones you see in games like Istanbul.

After getting my first game in (with the final copy and not the prototype), I have to correct myself. These aren't the standard red acrylic ones I've seen elsewhere. They have a slightly different shape and tint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.