Subject: British vs Pirates Miniature boardgame Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Apollo Weston
United States
SAN LUIS OBISPO
California
flag msg tools
Ahoy, I have posted rules for my game British vs. Pirates in the images below. It is a miniature ship combat game set in the golden age of piracey. Please take a glance at the rules and notify me of any issues you find. Keep in mind this is a work in progress / nearly completed rule set. I appreciate your time.

Want more info on the game? Like us on Facebook. www.facebook.com/british.pirates/

-Apollo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Leiker
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Over all I think your text is too wordy, and you need to reorder the flow of your information, but your examples and illustrations are quite nice. In my experience, rules should flow from general to specific, instead of starting with the gritty details. My critique is based on that assumption.

Here’s the broken-out list of things of some of the major things to work out.

Hope it helps!

A couple issues I'm unsure about;
Without the cards I'm really not sure how the damage is being calculated.
I'm not quite sure how the Skill cards work. I assume you play them to add to your actions, such as more damage, speed or pivots etc.

Rule Order & Format;
Justify your text blocks. They look ragged right now.
You use nautical terms for boats and facing. What if I as a player am not nautically minded but love tactical games? You should include a description of the ship faces, starboard, port, stern, etc.
Game setup (pg 12) should occur before movement, and have an example of the board setup. You've got some nice examples, you might as well go all the way.
Start playing (pg 13) should be at the beginning. Let players know what the "target game" will look like before greeting into the nitty gritty.
Do the same for Attack actions, general to specific should be in your heads at all times. Give the players the quick reference target, followed by the detail explanation of the action.
Attack Action (pg 9)
Determine Line of Sight / Firing Arc
Determine Attack Location
Determine number of Attack Dice
etc.
I would seriously consider breaking out your formulas into larger text. Specifically, for Attack actions.

Individual page notes.
Page 1 objectives;
What is the win condition?
You might want to use the phrase tactical ship combat, in here somewhere.
Page 3;
Break out your number of players to ships into a table. I think you might be able to list out all possibilities within the space you have. Also, there are a bunch of different ships, are any of them not used by players?
Page 6;
You mention the wind here, but I'm not sure how it works when it's not going toward stern.
I would start out each explanation with the keyword, Speed, Pivot. And fully explain them in order. Right now you have movement, pivot, movement and pivot together, then rules against both.
Example:
Movement - Each ship has six different movement speeds, on their card. These different speeds represent how many spaces your ship can travel in relation to the wind. Consult the weather vane to determine which direction the wind is blowing. A ship with the wind blowing toward it's stern will travel faster than a ship with the wind blowing at its bow. Ships must travel forward, the direction the bow is pointing.
Ships cannot Move into a space occupied by land, or another ship.
Page 9;
You say equal to or greater than the target...
You may consider swapping those around, in my experience it is usually "greater than or equal to".
Page 11;
I think you won't need to call out attacking as grappling if you change the word to boarding and then use it to refer to the players. Then it is very clear who is the aggressor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Scout
msg tools
Great game with a great look, which I'm backing without question.

Although the Brits pronounce 'lieutenant' as 'leftenant' (as opposed to 'lootenant' in the US), it's still spelt lieutenant in both instances - unless your misspelling is tongue in cheek, of course.

For a number of reasons, I'd strongly recommend setting the text for your rules in upper- and lower-case rather than all in capital letters. Research (eg Colin Wheildon, 2005, Type & Layout: Are You Communicating or Just Making Pretty Shapes?) clearly shows that this will make your rules far easier for readers to comprehend - for example, you'd very soon tire if you had to read a novel typeset all in capital letters!

You might also want to consider introducing a few icons/symbols/pictures to the rules and cards in place of some of the words - this would visually help players to navigate the rules and also help readers whose first language may not be English.

Hope this helps and can't wait to get the game and all the stretch goals!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.