Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Butler
United States
Eastport
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a set amount of warp tokens that each civilization starts with? I see that you can add warp capability with certain advancements, but I see nothing about starting warp capability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It seems you misunderstand. Factions do not have their own warp tokens. They are taken from the supply and placed on the board when you put ships into warp, add them to ships already in warp with a command, add them to ships in warp during the recharge phase, or are instructed to place them in a system when an advanced civ is discovered there.

Edit: maybe I am misunderstanding your question. All Factions place only one token next to their ships when they enter warp, if that's what you're asking...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
Players never 'own' warp tokens, they're just taken from stock when needed. So they're always either on the board (either to represent warp civilisations or to indicate warp travel) or they're back in the box, or wherever you like to keep tokens.

EDIT: Ninja'd. In case you're talking about warp capabilities, each player starts the game where one command to put a ship in warp adds one token, but you can add to that by completing projects with warp tokens pictured in the bottom right corner. So if you had one of those projects completed, you could spend a command to put a ship to warp, add two tokens, then spend a command to exit warp two systems away in the same turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Butler
United States
Eastport
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I was thinking (no set amount). So what does it mean when an advancement has a warp token icon on it?
PS I haven't played yet, just setting up for our first play tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
The answer is no. You do not start the game with warp tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Dano19606 wrote:
That's what I was thinking (no set amount). So what does it mean when an advancement has a warp token icon on it?

You add the warp symbols on any face-up completed advancements to the warp tokens next to your ships when they exit warp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the OP asking about Ascendancy Tokens? If so, you get 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Butler
United States
Eastport
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
Dano19606 wrote:

You add the warp symbols on any face-up completed advancements to the warp tokens next to your ships when they exit warp

What if you have no ships in warp when you complete the advancement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You misunderstand. The warp symbols on your cards exist as warp tokens for all ships at warp whenever they come out of warp.

So if your fleet has 2 tokens next to it and you have 2 symbols on your completed projects that fleet has 4 warp to use to move (2 from tokens and 2 on cards). The card symbols are never spent. Think of them as your ships minimum warp speed for the rest of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Butler
United States
Eastport
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveSumm wrote:
Players never 'own' warp tokens, they're just taken from stock when needed. So they're always either on the board (either to represent warp civilisations or to indicate warp travel) or they're back in the box, or wherever you like to keep tokens.

EDIT: Ninja'd. In case you're talking about warp capabilities, each player starts the game where one command to put a ship in warp adds one token, but you can add to that by completing projects with warp tokens pictured in the bottom right corner. So if you had one of those projects completed, you could spend a command to put a ship to warp, add two tokens, then spend a command to exit warp two systems away in the same turn.

The Ninja answers my question exactly! If I had any geek gold I'd tip you. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Dano19606 wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
Dano19606 wrote:

What if you have no ships in warp when you complete the advancement?

You add them to determine how many systems your ships can travel when they exit warp. Entering or being in warp has nothing to do with it. The warp tokens are totalled when ships exit warp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dano19606 wrote:
DaveSumm wrote:

The Ninja answers my question exactly! If I had any geek gold I'd tip you. Thanks.

His answer is also not technically accurate. Advancements with warp icons do not add warp tokens to your ships when they enter warp. Instead, they modify how far your ships can move when they exit warp. This may be important if you send a ship to warp, complete one such advancement, and then bring that ship out of warp. That ship will benefit from the completed advancement, even though it entered warp before the advancement was complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
Novacat wrote:

His answer is also not technically accurate. Advancements with warp icons do not add warp tokens to your ships when they enter warp. Instead, they modify how far your ships can move when they exit warp. This may be important if you send a ship to warp, complete one such advancement, and then bring that ship out of warp. That ship will benefit from the completed advancement, even though it entered warp before the advancement was complete.

I was aware they worded it that way but hadn't realised it mattered, it's a shame cos I like to think of it thematically as improving your warp engines just as you improve your weapons and shields. So you can say "set course for Deneb IV, Warp 2" and immediately put your ship at warp 2. Breaks down a little in that obviously it doesn't double your speed all the time, but still.

I guess it is a bit confusing that Romulan culture is pictured in the same place, which does operate as the OP thought, you get one only when the advancements completed and then it's done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
warp tokens represent the time/energy a ship or fleet has spent traveling at warp, while warp icons on advancements represent the speed increase you get from better warp technology.

When you let your ship/fleet exit warp you sum up both to determine the total distance you can travel at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Neumann
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some questions:

Lets imagine you have 1 Fleet, you are up to warp 2 thanks to an additional tech and you have all 5 command tokens.

Example 1:

If I want to jump to a system which is 5 systems away do I:

Spend a token to warp jump (this will only take me up to 2 systems away)
Spend an additional token to increase to 3 systems
Spend yet another additional token to increase to 4 systems
Spend an additional token and get to 5 systems distance
and finally spend my last token in jumping out of warp

Is this correct?

Example 2:

If I just wanted to reach 4 systems away, I could have 2 warp jumps which would have costed 4 command tokens as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Neumann wrote:
Some questions:

Lets imagine you have 1 Fleet, you are up to warp 2 thanks to an additional tech and you have all 5 command tokens.

Example 1:

If I want to jump to a system which is 5 systems away do I:

Spend a token to warp jump (this will only take me up to 2 systems away)
Spend an additional token to increase to 3 systems
Spend yet another additional token to increase to 4 systems
Spend an additional token and get to 5 systems distance
and finally spend my last token in jumping out of warp

Is this correct?

Example 2:

If I just wanted to reach 4 systems away, I could have 2 warp jumps which would have costed 4 command tokens as well?

It would probably help to stick to the regular game terminology. I gather from your wording that when you say "warp 2", you mean that you have +1 warp symbol from advancements, meaning two commands (one to enter and one to exit) can move you 2 systems, correct? It would be better just to say that you have 1 warp symbol on your completed advancements, just to avoid confusion.

The answer is that you are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Neumann
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
This may be important if you send a ship to warp, complete one such advancement, and then bring that ship out of warp. That ship will benefit from the completed advancement, even though it entered warp before the advancement was complete.

And things get sneaky if you can exhaust a rival's completed advancement that contains a warp token, since that particular card won't boost them again until it is flipped back up. It certainly won't happen often, but it pays to have a little surplus warp accumulated (or an extra command token) if you have some daring plan in mind. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.