Subject: Mystery/group game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Naccari
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Interested in trying a dinner mystery, escape room in a box or some similar Game with family. They are all non gamers and have essentially only succeeded in the past with codenames ( they love that one). Does anyone have experience with these things, thought it could mix things up. Also somewhat interested in Sherlock Holmes consulting detective as its not as consumable and could give the mrs and I some extra bang but thought it would be too heavy and not as good in a group. Any recs/ thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mysterium
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What numbers do you have?

Do they have any interests or turnoffs when it comes to setting?

Is it all adults or do you have some younger players as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Barstow
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just took a group of 9 through Escape the Room: Mystery at the Stargazer's Manor. They managed okay, with a tiny bit of help from me. It felt like a good "entry level" experience to me. I took it up a notch and set up an entire room, complete with props, additional puzzles to hide pieces to the puzzles included in the game, and an actual locked door. It went VERY well.

I've played Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective as well. Much harder, but more "cooperative" in feeling because we all discussed everything. The escape room experience was more engaging, but not everyone was as involved the entire time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
I did not try it, but I heard good things about T.I.M.E stories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Ludrick
United States
Austin
Texas (TX)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We had a good time with Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective as a dinner party thing. We had about 6 people, and we did it were one person read all the interviews with voices, and each person took turns deciding which lead to follow next. It takes a while, maybe 2.5 hours for a case, but it was a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ambersilk wrote:
Mysterium

I agree with this, but make sure you are familiar with the game setup.. as it can be cumbersome trying to figure it out the first time through.. I would even go as far as to setup a mock game beforehand.

After you do it once or twice, its not so bad.. but without a frame of reference for what the game mechanic and objectives are, its hard to understand the setup process...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be a little out of left field (not sure what that phrase means but I think I used it in the correct context) and recommend Witness.

It's a great quirky little game containing over 50 mystery cases for a group to solve. The main mechanism is whispering in to each other's ear, so it's good fun especially with close family members. Down side is it only plays 4 players.

Another choice could be Mystery Express, a nice thematic deduction game aboard the Orient Express, but unfortunately it's out of print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sensei Me
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deception: Murder In Hong Kong is a great game. Caters to a large amount of players and has easy rules. It plays quickly too. Always played multiple times by my game group,on game night. Investigators try and figure out who the murderer is. Hidden roles and deduction. Check it out. Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.