Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This just in via the newest update:

tps://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/the-walking-dead-no-sanctuary

All of the cards in a deck will have the same art on the face, which is also the same as the art on the back, except with a tint of color added. It looks super-cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised the license holder bought off on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm mistaken but I always assumed this to be the case. Did Cryptozoic ever say otherwise or show different artwork somewhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They didn't say otherwise and it's known from the beginning, true, but it does look very cheap.
I really thought these were preview (WIP) cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Guisado
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think different art would be better. It's a shame I can't comment on the kickstarter page (I'm a late backer).

The only thing I can do is ask everyone that feels the same way to express your opinion on the page, so maybe they re-think this issue. Since is early on the project timeline, I really think it's possible.

Edit: Also, I was expecting a preview of "Walk with me & Clear" Add-on on this update, since the pledge manager is closing. This way people won't be able to make an instructed decision on whether to buy it or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly didn't know this from the beginning. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, but the assumption that a licensed property would feature a variety of art drawn from its license seems pretty natural. As I look back over the KS, though, it looks like all they show is a few promotional stills. I'm wondering if there will be any screenshots in the game at all, or if they only have the license to the IP and a handful of promo shots.

Honestly, it's making me question whether backing this was such a good idea. They seem pretty inclined to handing out refunds, so maybe that's a better option for me. (Yes, this lack of art direction bothers me that much.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew from early on in the KS. It was one of the first questions asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:
I knew from early on in the KS. It was one of the first questions asked.

Asked as in, Kickstarter comments? I wouldn't expect many people to give a toss about following the thousands of KS comments for a project.

I think the game will be great, but the art reuse does make the game look a bit cheap, sort of like Uno: TWD edition!

Btw there are no photographs in the game. They are either hand-drawn, or photos with "make it look like a painting" Photoshop filters applied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't mind it, it will also make the gameplay easier add the different types of cards(colours) will be clearer

I'm much more concerned about the tiles. I've not been impressed with the ones I've seen so far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
IMHO, the minis are great and the gameplay seems good but everything else would have deserved more attention (cards, boards,map tiles, cards layed down on the tiles, etc..).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like the designers have put some effort in, so I expect the gameplay will be at least worthwhile (in contrast to many of Cryptozoic's other titles). It may even be good or great. Hopefully so.

However, I have a metric buttload of Zombicide and Black Plague, which pretty much nails the zombie genre for me. I was really looking for more TWD theme here (I am a huge fan of the property, both comic books and TV show). Several earlier TWD games, most notably the Z-Man releases, have nailed the theme but faltered badly on gameplay.

I was really hoping to finally get a decent game that really immersed me in the property. This is looking much more like a decent to good zombie game but a poor TWD game. Am I the only one with this perspective? Overreaction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
Am I the only one with this perspective? Overreaction?

The IP drew me in but the game mechanics made me pledge. From what I've seen in the rules preview and from the description of the scenarios, I think the game is very thematic. The description of what each character's role in game is seems true to their character. I mean just read the preview of Rick's deck and ignore the art. Highly thematic in my opinion.

I've voiced my concern about the tiles in another thread but in the end this is a card game with miniatures and spacial movement. It isn't a tactical miniatures game like zombicide or All out war although at first glance that's what it may look like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Brownell
United States
Twin Oaks
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
silverbowen wrote:
Am I the only one with this perspective? Overreaction?

The IP drew me in but the game mechanics made me pledge. From what I've seen in the rules preview and from the description of the scenarios, I think the game is very thematic. The description of what each character's role in game is seems true to their character. I mean just read the preview of Rick's deck and ignore the art. Highly thematic in my opinion.

I've voiced my concern about the tiles in another thread but in the end this is a card game with miniatures and spacial movement. It isn't a tactical miniatures game like zombicide or All out war although at first glance that's what it may look like.

Yeah, I've been impressed with what I've seen so far...enough that I went from a lapsed fan to pledging for the Kickstarter and watching the show again.

The art thing on the cards doesn't bug me, especially with the color coding. Everyone has their preferences, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Guisado
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I'd like different art on each card, I'd be happy with different art for each aproach (normal, cautious, agressive).

What I wouldn't like is to have "Photos" of the show on the cards.

One of the things I liked most about the (suposedly) place holders was that they were kind of a digital remasterized picture and not an actual photo of the character.

Now there's one backer saying on the comments page that the art should be like the one on "The Walking Dead: Best Defence" board game, which I really don't like (because they are just pictures). Those cards actually feel cheap to me because of the "art".

Since I'm a late backer I can't comment there. So I ask to you, if you agree with me, to go there and say that we like this kind of art. We just want more variety.

If you don't agree with me that's ok. We can even discuss both our opinions.

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with art is everybody has a different opinion. I actually would love to see good photos from the show. While I like the type of art they have now, if it were all illustrations I might not have pledged. I was really hoping for shots from the show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Guisado
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
The problem with art is everybody has a different opinion. I actually would love to see good photos from the show. While I like the type of art they have now, if it were all illustrations I might not have pledged. I was really hoping for shots from the show.

I respect your opinion. But don't you think that actual photos without any kind of remasterization feels kinda "done with paint/copy past like" art?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Je_Pe wrote:
Logus Vile wrote:

I respect your opinion. But don't you think that actual photos without any kind of remasterization feels kinda "done with paint/copy past like" art?

Not if in high resolution and well chosen. I play X-wing and love getting the alternative art cards and the most coveted ones are the ones with movie stills. Go have a look at how much the Darth Vader alternate art card movie still card goes for on ebay. I don't care as much about the illustrated alternate art cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Je_Pe wrote:

Kinda like the same photo pasted over and over with different color overlays?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Guisado
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:

Kinda like the same photo pasted over and over with different color overlays?

That's not what I said. What I don't really like is photos without any kind of treatment. The treatment (to me) is what it makes the cards feel like they were made specifically for this game and not just a photo that existed and was used for the art. English is not my native language so it's hard to express myself. ;p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yann
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is it definitive that all the cards per character will have the same art, just changing the background colour or it is just working in progress which might change later on?

I m a late pledger, and i pledged as I was equally fascinated by the mechanic as per the theme, and I had figured out that since cards are such an important part of the game (which is almost a card game with dude on the map) and since it is a licensed game with a license so rich in content, they would take benefit and even max out the theme by having more images from the show.

I perfectly understand that event cards come without art, to allow them to be generic enough for each scenario.

But the character cards with an illustration from the show (even just a simply remastered picture) reflecting the card name was something many people assumed.

What is the rational behind not using more images from the show? I m sure many of us would volunteer to help you find many suitable pictures to put on the character cards, to bring more variety.

Figurines are nice, but personally I put as much importance in the cards that I will have all the time in my hands to transmit the theme.

Is there anyway to voice louder our feedback?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
youtch wrote:
Is it definitive that all the cards per character will have the same art, just changing the background colour?

It seems pretty definitive. The last they had to say on the matter was on the 8th:

Cryptozoic Entertainment 4-time creator on November 8

@Banjo and Matthew reiterating, we have brought this to the attention where it needs to be but we have to make that statement in order to make sure we're not making an irresponsible promise, since decisions are dictated by many factors and people. The images on the cards are original artwork that were approved by our licensors and were never placeholders, as the goal was to go away from reusing photos from the show. It's very important to us that we're able to address all your feedback to continue to make our products better. Although we can't immediately make promises for other parties involved, we are able to at the very least, make a good presentation to see what is possible. As we completely understand the value in these comments and we have been proactive behind the scenes while discussion continues, I also don't want us to lose sight on the entire game as a whole, where the gameplay experience, miniatures, and variety of everything unlocked/offered in this campaign is going to give us an immersive and satisfying game. Once we hear more, we'll be sure to keep the threads with the most updated news

I'm pretty close to canceling my pledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
silverbowen wrote:
It looks super-cheap.
This is Cryptozoic we're talking about here. Their business model is "Spend $$$ on trendy IP license, then cut every corner possible to extract maximum profit." I mean, these are the same people still cranking out licensed iterations of "the cerberus engine" card games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the prototypes and preview videos, there was no mistake that all cards within each player deck is going to have the same artwork but just different color overlays.

At first, my initial gut reaction was the same--ugh, what a cheap and lazy way to slap this together. But after calming down and realizing that the import visual distinction between the cards is the color overlay to indicate if a character is following the leader. And with the images being the same for the deck, just makes it easier to quickly associate the card with the character and also easier to collect all the cards for that character too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yann
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is sad, and I m crossing fingers for this not be definitive, from here to July, it gives 8 months to fine-tune many aspects of the game.

I admire some of the positivism, but the card back already have the image of the character to associate to which character each card actually belongs. Plus i m assuming that if the players are able to process the not-so-straight-forward rules to actually play the game, they shall also be able to comply with some minimum pattern recognition to identify the character on the card.

As previously said, although it felt like a missed opportunity, and quite below standard compared to the rest of the industry, especially at this price tag, if I have to settle I would also probably settle for having at least 3 different arts/ character, one for each approach, for the sake of introducing a bare minimum of variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Cryptozoic Entertainment 4-time creator about 4 hours ago

We've actually been chatting about the Survivor Card art a lot for the past two weeks. As we are committed to our partners and all of our backers to keeping our original ship date in any way possible we had to take that into mind too. Because of this, we will not make any changes as it would push back our delivery by several months.

@Silver you can always reach out to us via Kickstarter@cryptozoic.com or by PM

---

Silver Bowen about 9 hours ago

On a related note, what is the process for getting a refund (assuming there is one), and is there a deadline for that? If there is a process for refunds, do you refund the complete amount or are processing fees deducted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.