Subject: Creating a game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: games [+] new [+] [View All]
Aaron Reger
United States
California
flag msg tools
I think I have this in the right place.

My sister and I are making a deck building game. A lot of the inspiration came from "DC Deck Building" and "Dominion" (my favorite game).

It is called "Fandoms: Everyone is a Fan of Something", and in it you build a team of Nerds to take down the Villains.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on putting the game together and getting it ready for a Kickstarter.

I bought some blank dice and used a sharpie for our design, but obviously I would need some actual professional dice for when it all goes in the box, so I was wondering if anyone had a good recommendation on where to buy custom made dice. It is a set of four dice: three have "1" on four sides, and "2" on the remaining two, and one has "+" on three sides, and "-" on the other three sides. Does that make sense? I have done a little research, but I haven't found a website I felt was actually in the business of custom making dice.
I also bought some blank playing cards from Amazon, and we hand-wrote the cards, so I am also looking for a good company that I could get a prototype made up for a more refined play-testing experience, once we have a lot of the kinks worked out.

I was also wondering if there were any specific questions that I need to be asking the friends I have play-testing my hand-written prototype. I've never play-tested a game before, so I feel a little bit like i'm stumbling around in the dark.

Finally, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for running a Kickstarter campaign. We are obviously quite a ways away from that point, but I don't think it's ever too early to begin planning.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wornoutgames wrote:
I was also wondering if there were any specific questions that I need to be asking the friends I have play-testing my hand-written prototype. I've never play-tested a game before, so I feel a little bit like i'm stumbling around in the dark.

Having friends playtest your design can be unreliable. Often friends are reluctant to tell the designer that they don't like the design, or that it has little replay value. Consider getting a developer and have him/her conduct the playtesting with folks who don't know the designer. THe developer doesn't need to be a professional; often an experienced gamer is fine.

Also have the design tested many times with different groups of playtesters to optimize the opportunities to discover game-breaking rules combinations.

Good luck with your game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
wornoutgames wrote:

Having friends playtest your design can be unreliable. Often friends are reluctant to tell the designer that they don't like the design, or that it has little replay value. Consider getting a developer and have him/her conduct the playtesting with folks who don't know the designer. THe developer doesn't need to be a professional; often an experienced gamer is fine.

Also have the design tested many times with different groups of playtesters to optimize the opportunities to discover game-breaking rules combinations.

Good luck with your game!

Bill is right on -- you need to playtest your game a lot, with many different groups, including "blind" playtesting to make sure people who bought your game and didn't have you there explaining it would be able to understand it.

After you have done that for a while, you can decide whether you want to kickstart the game (a very complicated and time consuming endeavor) or shop it to publishers.

Here are a couple good resource troves to get you started.
http://www.jamesmathe.com/
http://stonemaiergames.com/kickstarter/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Rouser
United States
Johnstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before sinking more money into the game, you might be able to find objective playtesters locally. In the last city I lived in, there was a group of people who would blind playtest games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.