Subject: What's the best way to learn Conan at the moment? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So the fixed rulebook is on its way and probably some learn to play videos too. But I need to learn Conan NOW and can't wait. So where should I start?

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordjinn wrote:
So the fixed rulebook is on its way and probably some learn to play videos too. But I need to learn Conan NOW and can't wait. So where should I start?

The core rulebooks are, by and large, okay. It's the skills, spells, and scenarios which were completely mutilated by the translators (and the manager who signed off on their work). i had no problems getting into the first scenario using the provided materials, except that the Wall Wrecker skill (which Conan likely uses in that scenario) is borked due to two separate translation errors:

- It leaves out the word "wooden" before "wall". i.e. it cannot be used on stone walls.

- It says "2 movement" instead of "2 additional movement", so it doesn't cost as much to use as it is supposed to.

i.e. it's overpowered in the English edition.

There were the usual questions, e.g. "do the hut door flaps block LOS," which "really should" have been clarified in the scenario text but weren't. Sometimes you'll just have to make a judgement call or refer to the forums for clarification. (Yes, the hut flaps block LOS.)

There are numerous threads which discuss and clarify the individual translation errors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Stephen, but I would also have the BGG search function open because you will run into questions (several of which Stephen pointed out for the first scenario).

It depends how ok you are with making judgement calls about certain things (like terrain and how certain skills work), YMMV.

The new rules (or a substansive FAQ) need to come sooner rather than later for those folks that dont enjoy making judgement calls often.

That said, the game is great; really captures the theme of Conan and you might forgive some of its shortcomings if you like it as much as many seem to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Larsen
Denmark
Horsens
flag msg tools
CardboardAnt wrote:
That said, the game is great; really captures the theme of Conan and you might forgive some of its shortcomings if you like it as much as many seem to.

I have a few plays now under my belt now, and I basically don't need to look up rules anymore, and can concentrate on playing. Which is great because the game is a blast!

In those cases when victory or defeat comes down to that final, desperate roll of the dice and everyone holds their breath as the dice come clickety-clackety-clickety-clackety-rolling down, it really doesn't matter who wins.

It is so worth the little things that need to be ironed out.

(My personal opinion and YMMV and all that... )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for your tips, exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. I will try to find the biggest flaws before our first game so we don't have to do that many judgement calls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Open the box and play through the first scenario, its simple enough to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.