Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zenvious
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This occured to me. Can anyone see a reason why you'd have purchased all 30 ships for you faction, but not mustered any into a fleet?

For the original 3 factions I'm not seeing any advantage in doing so. All of them (from memory) have the "re-roll 1's" battle fleet. Thus if you have 4-6 ships in one area with the ability to "FORM FLEET" you may as well right?

I do see merit in that you can place single ships to create "warp-blocks" in space lanes. But otherwise I'm not seeing any reason for all 30 ships to be on the board without being mustered - or if not it would be a VERY rare circumstance.

Even the upcomming Cardasians who leave 1 ship orbiting each Production System would still benefit from having fleet around I'd say.

Any feedback on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
If you aren't playing against Romualns, then yeah, using ships to block movement could be a very valid endgame strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well what do fleets do? Sure you got some specialized fleets like Battle Group, and Marauders but you also have just your general mass 3-9 (10 for Klingons or 7 for Ferengi) blank fleets that doesn't have any special formation rules. So the only thing fleets do is save you command tokens for movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zfairborn wrote:
This occured to me. Can anyone see a reason why you'd have purchased all 30 ships for you faction, but not mustered any into a fleet?

For the original 3 factions I'm not seeing any advantage in doing so. All of them (from memory) have the "re-roll 1's" battle fleet. Thus if you have 4-6 ships in one area with the ability to "FORM FLEET" you may as well right?

I do see merit in that you can place single ships to create "warp-blocks" in space lanes. But otherwise I'm not seeing any reason for all 30 ships to be on the board without being mustered - or if not it would be a VERY rare circumstance.

Even the upcomming Cardasians who leave 1 ship orbiting each Production System would still benefit from having fleet around I'd say.

Any feedback on this?

the only reason i can think of is "Bad play"

its simply foolish to avoid the use of the command-saving fleets, let alone their special bonuses where applicable.

if you dont plan to move them and your best fleet doesnt give a bonus you need then sure you could stack them 30 high at your homeworld without being in a fleet, they would still be able to fight as a whole.
but since each faction has at least 1 battle group fleet or others that increase your to hit chance/reroll chance in battle there really is no reason at all not to.

there is no game function or tech that targets fleets in any way to make them more vulnerable/avoid using them.

the cardassians are very flexible with their fleets, being able to comission them anywhere, so they are more likely to change fleet configurations mid-turn depending what they need but they would never be long time without fleets (for example, move a big fleet to central point, disband the big fleet and instead replace with a few hunter-killer fleets to attack with, later reform into big fleet to move away).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Klingons have upgrades that will place single ships all around your territory. So you might end up flying some of them around individually for a while as you place them as "blockers," or to sacrifice some to build colonies, or gather them together initially.

You do know that the number of fleets you can build is limited to your Ascendancy Level, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
Marinealver wrote:
So the only thing fleets do is save you command tokens for movement.

"Only" seems the wrong word to use when 5 commands can assemble a 9 ship fleet and warp it to someones homeworld 3 spaces lanes away. Without a fleet the most ships you could move that distance is ... One.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.