Subject: Rule Changes - 3rd English Edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just a post of curiosity.

I learned this game on Yucata and only just bought the game, and got a surprise when reading the rules due to two changes. I only see one post on here that seems to relate to these changes, cause someone asked about leaving a "gap" when bringing new cards into the street.

The major one is only being able to take the new street cards if you do a discard. I was like, huh? The other is more minor, but on the brute it just says "the level of the brute" rather than "up to the level."

I haven't played this much so don't have any great strategies on it (still trying to work out the balance between going high too fast, getting stuck with nothing to do, and going too slow). But the idea of only being able to take the new cards if I discard seems like a huge change to me. I often try to screw around with the other player with my discards or manipulating game end, etc. (In fact, I only won my last game by a hair due to a specific discard.)

Just wondering who all has used these new rules and what people think of it. I have a feeling I'm going to "house-rule" this back to the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CS
msg tools
I'm looking at buying this game, what did the old rules say compared to the new ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the original rules. The way you can manipulate the street is one of the great things about this game. I wonder how the new rules impact that...

Edit: just checked the German rules on the 2F-Spiele website and no signs of rule changes. The German rules there are still the same as originally published.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
I like the original rules. The way you can manipulate the street is one of the great things about this game. I wonder how the new rules impact that...

Edit: just checked the German rules on the 2F-Spiele website and no signs of rule changes. The German rules there are still the same as originally published.

Hmm, publishers messing with stuff again. An I agree with you sentiment about manipulating the street.

@Deepunder. Two changes. When you discard and pull out new cards from the supply, there's no mention of leaving a gap between cards already out and the new ones, and nothing saying you have to then take only cards from the newest ones that just came out. The old rules said nothing about leaving a gap (i.e. you can lay the cards out any way you like), and you can take anything from those available - no mention of "only the new cards."

On the Brute, the original rules say you can knock someone down up to the level of the Brute. (i.e. if the Brute is a 3, you can knock someone in the street down by 1, 2 or 3.) The new rules leave out the words "up to" and state you knock the card down by the level of the Brute, so in that example, by exactly 3.

If you haven't played it before, wait til you have the game, read the rules, and then this will probably make more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, I pulled it out for the first time about a week ago and we just played by the original rules. That's what I'm used to. I guess I need to write up an addendum in case someone from my group decides to learn it without me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.