Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan M
United States
Pleasant Hill
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules, as printed, clearly state that a model's base cannot go outside of the zone, otherwise it doesn't fit. A zone I consider the area within the embossed line.

How literal do you apply those rules? Do you give any leniency?

Case in point, I was playing Mission 6 tonight. The catwalk that surround the target zone was defended with my Patriarch who was a one man army slicing and dicing. After we wrapped up though it hit me that his base is larger than the zone, that there was nowhere in those zones surrounding the Promethium Silo Zone that he would fit. We also sized up Brother Terminator Armor Dude and even he was too wide but only by a few millimeters.

So in post game discussion my opponent and I were trying to decide just how literal do we take that rule. Was stacking limit in a zone more the intent? Or was the intent to restrict certain zones completely to some models?

Strict reading of the rules means that BTAD can't even fit in the target zones in Mission 2 without leaving the inner edge of the embossed area. The Patriarch flat out can't fit in some of the outer zones on board sections.

In the end we decided that some leniency should be given, that a game that doesn't bother with line of sight and plays fairly loose is unlikely to have intentionally restricted some zones to some models. So we decided that moving forward we'd play as we did.

I guess that's our conclusion...What about yours? Should some models be prohibited due to base size to some zones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those smaller zones around the Silo are probably small for a reason. Trying to evict the Patriarch from one seems harsh.

I've tried it both ways, strict or lenient. Strict can be a pain, and kinda rude. But, I do think base size matters, and the "can't go where you don't fit" rule is an integral part of the game. I'm not sure there are supposed to be zones just small enough they exclude the larger based models. But, I am sure additional models cannot go into an occupied zone where they can't really fit. That's the way we play, which isn't OCD, but is suitably restrictive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan M
United States
Pleasant Hill
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you play the way we play, lenient but within reason. I don't think my opponent or I would challenge a millimeter here or there where the base is physically wider than the zone. Meaning that every zone would be big enough for any miniature - Except that catwalk.

Mission 6 is the only one that uses that side of the tile also. So without being strict, down to the millimeter strict, the only questionable zones are those three around the silo. So, are those three zones intentionally special to prohibit the Patriarch from entering?

By the rules I guess I would have to say yes. Despite how odd it is that three zones in one mission restrict one specific miniature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
By my count, there are 8 tile sides that have at least one space that can't fit the patriarch and/or the biker.

I'd probably allow the ones that are within about 1mm, but if it can't fit, it can't fit.

Also, this does make some interesting restrictions, because it's pretty clear that models are locked in place once they're done moving, so bulky models can block areas or not fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.