Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game name: Doom

Author/s: Kevin Wilson

Players: 2-4 (2-6 with the expansion and using different modes of play)

Playing time: 2-4 hours

Key elements:

Basic maths, double guessing, team problem solving, bluffing, team-work.

Key Ratings:
= Low
= High

Depth
Strategy
Luck
Player Interaction

This is a tension filled dungeon-crawl style of game where the players and the GM compete head to head for victory.

Short Description:

In Doom players are UAC Marines fighting against an inter-dimensional incursion from the depths of hell itself. Players pit their wits against the Invader player (the GM) in an effort to fight their way through the scenarios provided with the game. This game is filled to the gills with tension and excitement – the Marines will have to work hard to beat the Invader, one especially important thing to remember is that the Marines need to keep moving in order to survive.

The dice used in Doom (and Doom’s larger cousin Descent: Journeys into the Dark) have been the subject of an intelligent article by the game world’s famous Shannon Appelcline ( http://boredgamegeeks.blogspot.com/2007/04/elegant-games-ele... - although in this article he discusses the dice for Descent: Journeys into the Dark the principles and ideas remain the same as the dice differ little between Descent and it's predecessor Doom)– Shannon discussed what it was that made them especially brilliant. Indeed – the dice – which tell you if you hit, whether you have the range, the amount of damage you do, and whether you lose any ammunition (all in one roll) are a very clever part of the game’s central mechanisms.

One aspect of Doom I enjoy is the ammo – it’s worth its weight in gold! If the Marines run out of ammo they will have a very tough time of surviving, this means that every player has to count their shots – and the agonising decisions this causes are a brilliant addition to the thematic flavour of the game.

Doom is a game that is filled with theme, one of the key reasons why I like it so much is because of the many tough choices the Marine players must make. How successfully the Marines manage to utilise their varied set of skills and equipment will often dictate whether they win or lose the game. For the GM (the Invader player) the game is filled with meaningful choices too - when to play special effects, which cards to play and when, what to spawn, when and importantly: where. All these are teasing, seething complexities that bubble around inside the players head while the game is underway. The theme is also very evident, even though the system could potentially feel quite abstract and/or artificial. I regularly get the sensation that all the players can hear, in their mind's eye, the calls, commands, and cries of the marines as the doors 'whoosh' open and the slavering denizens of hell come rushing toward them, and the ragged barking of the UAC bullpup machine guns in response.

Doom is a real winner for me, and with the expansion comes new creatures, but I think more importantly: new ways of playing the game with up to 6 players – ‘death matches’ and ‘capture the flag’ style adventures. This game has plenty of replay-ability and is an exciting and tense experience for all – even the GM!

By: Giles Pritchard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review. Finally someone who appriciates the ammo aspect rather than bitching about it, which many other reveiws and many posts have done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Rob,

I appreciate your comments!

Ammo is an integral and fascinating aspect of Doom - it forces and informs many of the choices that the marines make, and when it doesn't - it probably should at least be in the back of the marine players' minds!!

Cheers!

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Your review has helped me finally dive in and get this game. It sounds exactly the sort of game that I can get my father in law and brothers in law to play.

Thanks for the review and hopefully it is as fun as I got from your review

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks James,

I appreciate you saying that!

I hope it lives up to what you want as well! If you just buy the base game the rules for the expansion - and importantly the difficulty levels - are available from the FFG website (and the official FAQ, which is useful).

I certainly enjoy the game - and hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Cheers!

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Surya is pure Eurosnoot and proud of it!
New Zealand
Napier
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I like the game, but find that it's too slow. That's why I prefer the Death Match. Turns are a lot faster, no reading in the book to see what happens next, no invader that has to think about the moves of 30 monsters... And you can choose how long to go on. A great addition to a decent game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review!! I really like this game ESPECIALLY with the expansion!!!
The ammo factor is what makes this game a real challenge for the marines! I did have an initial problem with the rules...but were cleared up after a couple of plays!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose it can be quite a methodical, systematic and slow feeling game at times - but certainly no-where near what Descent feels like (in my book). I really enjoy the game though - and the pace - while at times can get a little 'systematic' - certainly hits a tempo when all the players know the rules and the Overlord is prepared (I keep the map sections for the scenario in little bundles - including all equipment tokens etc - by the board - which helps speed the slowest part).

Cheers and thanks for the comments!

Giles.

You're right John - the expansion is a blast - I love the fact that it doesn't simply give you 'more of the same' but also provides you with two other ways of playing the game - these are especially worth the box price! - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls