Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A very MINOR variation, but one that some could appreciate.

I'm a bit of a fan of deck building and modification. I also prefer decks that are easy to shuffle (approx max 80 cards) even if they only get shuffled once a game.

Anyway, my mod is quite simple:

Remove X Virgin Worlds from the Exploration Deck.

Virgin Worlds are currently dull and offer little in the way of benefit to anyone. Furthermore any 'non-Civilized' System is technically a Virgin World - merely one with an Event or Crisis in the way making it more intriguing to deal with.

One disadvantage/ advantage of doing this is that it would give the Federation a slight boost as less cards in the Exploration deck would increase their chances of being able to discover Civilizations for their "Seek out Strange New Life" benefit. However I find this somewhat luck based already since they are racing a clock to find them in the first place against their rivals own exploration.

Another disadvantage/ advantage comes from this increased chance of Civilzations in that it is more likely more worlds may appear with nodes on them. While this will save resources in building them, it would encourage many of the valuable 'white nodes' to be cover in a Production Node.

I think it has merit. In my case with the extra 15 cards from having a 1st printing (total of 60), I'm pulling 10 Virgin Worlds from my deck to leave a total of 50 cards - of which includes 1 Virgin World still in the deck (making it a rare but 'one-of-a-kind-card' which makes it appropriate with the rest of the cards which are each unique in their own way :)

Just a thought. I'll be play testing it today and for future games. Will let you know the results after 3 play through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k c
msg tools
mb
That seems like a good optional rule. I might try it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally disagree. My players LOVE to find Virgins! They mean no red Crises or powerful neutral civilization, and an easy opportunity to develop the world as your own. They would shove me out the airlock for proposing to remove them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
Totally disagree. My players LOVE to find Virgins! They mean no red Crises or powerful neutral civilization, and an easy opportunity to develop the world as your own.

Fair points. Each to their own. My group just did it as I described above and they were very pleased with the result. Every planet became something interesting. Even the ones where nothing occurs (e.g.: gain X Research for each Trade Agreement you hold when you have NO trade agreements) was still worthwhile.

So we did get some Virgin worlds via Events. But there was always a subtle "you could have gotten more if..." in those cases. They were happy and would like to keep it that way.

But again - if your crew are threatening you with asphixiation, definately keep them in. Air is a requirement for gaming :P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
I came here for the Virgins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't agree with OP. Finding virgins is very exciting, especially with their great tracts of land and unplowed fie-

Oh wait, we're talking about Ascendancy, aren't we? *ahem*

It's a glass-half-full versus a glass-half-empty sort of thing, isn't it? You can view finding virgin worlds as "aw, man, didn't get a pre-warp civ" or you can view it as "nice! Didn't get nuked by a level 4 crisis!"

Personally, I'm a builder, I like finding resources and exploiting them, so virgin worlds are great for me. It's very gratifying to me to find a virgin world, even though it's a slower play, because it's something I can grow and don't have to fight for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion previews revealed that they do not have virgin world exploration cards so adding them into the mix will reduce your chance of drawing one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.