Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing much else to say really, just like to know what people think of it as a 2p game, or how does it compare to its 3~4p gameplay?

Since almost everything in the game (PYL drafting + achievement) hinges on competition with opponents, my first thoughts were not exactly positive, but I might be wrong so... thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Community favorability ratings seem to indicate that the game plays really well with 2, but better with 3. 2 players seems more favorable than 4. But hopefully someone who has actually played the game will give a report as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Breakout Normandy, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game last night as a two-player. A tie broken by the player holding the first player token. Very enjoyable with two, there is still tension as to how long to pass and then which column to take, even though I didn't think it would be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderfully. Played our first two games (both 2 player) and I think this is one of my new favorites. Even with 2 players, the other player will take what you wanted if you push it. I imagine with 3 or 4, you may pass less often as there will be an even greater chance someone will take the column of cards you wanted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eerk Katerman
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a bit stumped on the importance of the starting player pawn. The player who has that has quite a big advantage with two players, constantly getting the best card or preventing the other player from getting a good card. You can even prevent the other player from getting the starting pawn.

I also don't see why you would ever pass a turn in a two player game ('stay in school'), if you know next turn you will be the first player anyway.

Other than that the game works very well with two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benni_jolink wrote:
I was a bit stumped on the importance of the starting player pawn. The player who has that has quite a big advantage with two players, constantly getting the best card or preventing the other player from getting a good card. You can even prevent the other player from getting the starting pawn.

I also don't see why you would ever pass a turn in a two player game ('stay in school'), if you know next turn you will be the first player anyway.

Other than that the game works very well with two players.

You would pass a turn in order to get (at least) 1 more card. Even in a 2 player game, another card is added to the available in-play columns. So if my opponent takes a column and I pass, I'll still get one more card before I'm forced to take the remaining column.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eerk Katerman
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I didn't realise that if the first player passes, he will still get an extra card - even if the second player takes a card. That makes a bit more sense!

In other words, if the first player stays in school, but the second player doesn't, then the first player gets two cards and the second player gets one card? If both players stay in school, then the first player can choose a column first.

It still seems very strong to be the starting player in a 2 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From our plays so far, there were some turns we were very glad to be the first player and others where it wasn't a big deal, but it's enough of a reason to try to get that first player pawn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eerk Katerman
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it sure is! I just noticed that in 3/4 player games, there is more balance. If the starting player immediately grabs the single card that he wants, then there is a chance that the remaining players will all get 2 or even 3 cards. This counterbalances the fact that the starting player got the best card. (the best for him, at least)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.