BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Monogomous or polygomous in relation to your boardgame? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me clarify. This may be a dumb question especially with members of this board. Do you stick with one game and play it to death, moving on only when you have become bored with the game or do you stay with a game long enough til the next new game comes out?

I have a friend who is the former. He is the one who actually introduced me to a Eurogame (Settlers...no surprise there!) but has not bought any boardgame since then and is the only boargame he brings up when he invites guests. He likes to play the same game over and over again. Now that he has "mastered" the game, he has since bought a new Eurogame, Thurn and Taxis, but has yet to put that on the table.

I, on the other hand, stay with a game just long enough until the next new game hits my local FLGS.

My friend is likely to play with the same game, one after the other on any given night. I like to move onto a different game and am more resistant to playing the same game twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Tanchel
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Polygomous, just like you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June Hwang Wah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambi-gamous. i.e. will play all games. Repeated plays are fine. New games are okay too, if rules can be taught properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
I, on the other hand, stay with a game just long enough until the next new game hits my local FLGS.

That sounds more like serial monogamy. Polygamy (poly-game-y, hehehe) would mean loving several games very dearly and playing those few a lot. For example I am in a poly-game-ous relationship with FFG right now. It's an economically stable relationship, and discourages population growth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
grognard wrote:
Ambi-gamous. i.e. will play all games. Repeated plays are fine. New games are okay too, if rules can be taught properly.

Pan-game-ous?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fortunate to belong to a gaming group that owns a bunch of games and has a lot of members who own a bunch of games. I've played literally hundreds of different games over the last few years. On a typical evening, I'll play 3-5 different games, 0-3 of which are new to me, 0-3 of which I play frequently, and 0-3 of which I play occasionally.

Some games that I really like are not popular in the group so they don't get played as often as I would like. Some games are popular, so I play them more than I would if the game choice was entirely mine.

Rather than a marriage metaphor, I see more of an MTV metaphor (back when they played music videos, that is). Some games are on heavy rotation, some get played once and forgotten, and some only show up from time to time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Gervais
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only person I know who is a monogomous board game player is my future father-in-law.
He will not stop playing a game until he "gets it."
In practice, that means on each visit we'll end up playing the same game repeatedly.
It's nice to do occasionally. (I'm a lot better at Blokus now.)
However, I love always playing new games, so it can be frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play a game multiple times you will get bored of it. Isn't it better to play a game 1-2 times and then move on to a new game ? shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Polygomous implies some level of dedication.

I am a game slut.

I concur. I try new games out, and then toss them to the curb/flea market if they don't please me.

If I like them, then I will try to get others to play them as well.

Hmm.. I guess I'm a Game Pimp Daddy, then.

And I take videos of it and post them on the Internet, so I'm a Game Exhibitionist!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Personally Id rather play a game to death and then move on. But as it is currently I dont geta chance to do that, so Im trying to get games played and get rid of some I never have played and are unlikly to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh. I know the title was a bit of a misnomer. I just couldn't fit my original title on the subject spot and was getting late, that is why I wanted to clarify my question when you clicked on the subject.

I just thought it was just an interesting observation of a friend of mine. He likes to play things to death before moving on. I can't resist a new "shiny" thing and will "forget" about what I previously had, and play with the new thing.

If we're going strictly by the definition, he's not really monogomous. He plays other boardgames such as Scrabble and Boggle with his wife. My point was that he won't buy a new game until he has played it to death. Hell, I've gone through 8 or 9 Eurogames since he has introduced me to Settlers and he has just recently acquired Thurn and Taxis but has yet to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
Omnigamous.

I play everything. Even Monopoly.

Well, except trivial pursuit (and its ilk) I guess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Tackleberry
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I would rather learn the ins and outs of a few amount of games, but my gaming group however likes trying as many games as possible. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Peters Unrau
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:
Hmm.. I guess I'm a Game Pimp Daddy, then.

And I take videos of it and post them on the Internet, so I'm a Game Exhibitionist!

And I download and watch your videos so does that makes me a voyeur?

And what does it say that I show said videos to my 4 and 2 year old children?

And what does it say about my kids that their favourite TV shows are "Franklin", "Bob the Builder" and "Boardgames with Scott"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Trifts
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:
If you play a game multiple times you will get bored of it. Isn't it better to play a game 1-2 times and then move on to a new game ? shake

This is one of the problems with many (though not all) Eurogames. They don't stand up to repeated play nearly as well as more classic wargames and AT.

I prefer to play a game to the point where I intrinsically know all rules and have "mastered" the subtleties and strategies in the game - and play with opponents who are similarly skilled.

That's what makes for a great game to me.

In games of poor design or which focus on simple - and ultimately shallow - elegant mechanics, repeated play tends to highlight the dearth of deep gameplay and reveals problems and exploits in the game rules and design.

Some games are one-off appetizers. Some are occasional deserts. Others are main course meals.

I prefer steak, medium rare, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GeoMan wrote:
If you play a game multiple times you will get bored of it.

Really? I've logged 100 plays of Age of Steam, average two plays per week and am not bored of it. In fact I played 4 games of Age of Steam non-stop in a row last Tuesday and had a great time. In the last months of last year I played ~100 games of Sticheln and wasn't bored of it. Etc etc etc. Some of my most enjoyed gaming was multiple plays of the same game in a row.

Quote:
Isn't it better to play a game 1-2 times and then move on to a new game ? shake

Why, especially if the new game holds little promise of being notable? My preference is to:

1) Spend a lot of time and effort researching new games.

2) Actually play those new games only if I expect them to be better than an older favourite

3) Play a smallish stable of old favourites the rest of the time (~50 different games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Steel_Wind wrote:
GeoMan wrote:

This is one of the problems with many (though not all) Eurogames. They don't stand up to repeated play nearly as well as more classic wargames and AT.

I'm not sure that this is statistically more common with Eurogames than AT game or any other genre. There are poor/shallow game designs in every discipline.

Quote:
I prefer to play a game to the point where I intrinsically know all rules and have "mastered" the subtleties and strategies in the game - and play with opponents who are similarly skilled.

My experience is that players who claim to have mastered the subtleties and strategies of a given game rarely have. Rather they've generally achived a level of competence within the groupthink of the players they normally compete with.

Quote:
In games of poor design or which focus on simple - and ultimately shallow - elegant mechanics, repeated play tends to highlight the dearth of deep gameplay and reveals problems and exploits in the game rules and design.

Would you mind giving some examples?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm not sure that this is statistically more common with Eurogames than AT game or any other genre. There are poor/shallow game designs in every discipline.

I believe he means that to him, the interest of working out the best way to maximize victory points is dull; the vast majority of 'elegant' euros fall under this catagory.

Quote:
My experience is that players who claim to have mastered the subtleties and strategies of a given game rarely have. Rather they've generally achived a level of competence within the groupthink of the players they normally compete with.

He was stating his preference for playing games he understands the ins and outs of. Your comment has nothing to do with the argument at hand - no need to be an AT/Euro warmonger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
CasualSax wrote:
I believe he means that to him, the interest of working out the best way to maximize victory points is dull; the vast majority of 'elegant' euros fall under this catagory.

Could be, but that's not what he wrote.

Quote:
He was stating his preference for playing games he understands the ins and outs of. Your comment has nothing to do with the argument at hand - no need to be an AT/Euro warmonger.

Understanding the ins and outs of a game has nothing to do with it being a Euro, AT, wargame or anything else other than personal application.

I see many games inaccurately dismissed as variously shallow on the basis of local groupthink and play style. For instance many consider Coloretto to be a trivially light weight filler. Just try playing Coloretto with calculating card counters and you'll soon discover that it is far from the powder puff game you may have thought. This is not to hold myself up, I frequently sloppily pidgeonhole and dismiss gamesmyself (reforming is hard).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My preference is to:

1) Spend a lot of time and effort researching new games.

2) Actually play those new games only if I expect them to be better than an older favourite

3) Play a smallish stable of old favourites the rest of the time (~50 different games).

I do some research with most games I'm interested in but I don't base my decision on the basis of one being better than another. One important thing for me is having variety. I'm not interested in "mastering" most games. I like trying new things; to see what I may have missed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar to clearclaw, I enjoy playing a variety of games because games interest me, and it's fun to see a new mechanic or even an old mechanic used in a new way. I'm pretty much willing to play any game at least once, and possibly more, depending on my first impression of it.

After that, I equally enjoy repeated plays of a single game, analyzing various strategies for a game I enjoy to see if it is balanced or if I can develop dominant strategies (e.g., http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/154026). The most satisfying games for me are when people who have deeply analyzed a game go at it head to head. I have a gaming friend and we have played 50 or so games of 2er Caylus, some F2F and some on BSW. We've enjoyed every one immensely.

Notre Dame is a more recent example. I played it once and enoyed it, then played another 40 games or so figuring out "how" to play it. And I am always willing to spend the evening playing 20-30 games of speed chess with a worthy opponent. But that didn't stop me playing Citadles, Mission Red Planet, Rum & Pirates, and some other unfamiliar games in the same period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.