Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren Austin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game. Really love the new edition.

When playing with the solo rules it says to change the round order such that you essentially have two turns per monster turn. In this case is a round still the entire monster-hero-hero cycle? Or is the monster-hero one round with the following round only having the hero steps?

The reason I ask is that on several of the cards that you can leave in play if you pay the upkeep have a "Once per round" clause. If the round includes both of the hero turns that means you will have to pay twice per round to keep them, but only get to use them once. That would make them much more expensive for solo play.

Or am I just misinterpreting something?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Dagaren wrote:
Great game. Really love the new edition.

When playing with the solo rules it says to change the round order such that you essentially have two turns per monster turn. In this case is a round still the entire monster-hero-hero cycle? Or is the monster-hero one round with the following round only having the hero steps?

The reason I ask is that on several of the cards that you can leave in play if you pay the upkeep have a "Once per round" clause. If the round includes both of the hero turns that means you will have to pay twice per round to keep them, but only get to use them once. That would make them much more expensive for solo play.

Or am I just misinterpreting something?

Thanks

For purposes of the solo variant treat Cleanup as the end of a round.
For instance, this means Brawler can be used once per Hero Acts step, and Holy Aura can be used any time, but only once per time-between-Cleanups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Austin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Thanks for the clarification Jeremy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have slightly different question about solo. Do you play one hand or two hands? I know you could probably do both, but I just wondered what the rules in the manual are assuming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Phate999 wrote:
I have slightly different question about solo. Do you play one hand or two hands? I know you could probably do both, but I just wondered what the rules in the manual are assuming.

My recommendation is that if you're willing to play two hands, you play two hands. At that point you follow the rules for 2 players, because you ARE 2 players who happen to be the same person as far as the game is concerned.

The specifically Solo Variant in the rulebook uses one deck of cards with one hand. However, the short explanation of the turn structure is "take two turns per monster turn."
So you progress all the good stuff twice per round of bad stuff:

Draw cards, Town, Travelers,
Monsters act, Monsters gain power, Add monsters,
Heroes act, Cleanup,
Draw cards, Town, Travelers, Heroes act, Cleanup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.