Popular Tags: [View All]
Your reindeer are on fire
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
OverText is totally worth 100 units of imaginary, worthless currency
badge
What the Hell else am I supposed to do with GeekGold?
mbmbmbmbmb
So I wasted my vote gave the finger to The Power chose the least of several evils voted my conscience on Friday.

A number of thoughts traipsed about inside my pretty little head as I stood in line, but none of them had anything remotely to do with politics. "I'm glad I peed first," "That woman is really gorgeous" and my personal favorite, "Ooh, I get a sticker!" were among those thoughts.

Conspicuously absent: any debate or doubt about my choice.

I hadn't voted in many years. Some of you were not even alive the last time I voted. Why, back in my day, we chiseled our votes on stone tablets and village elders helpfully read our selections out loud to make sure we had chosen correctly.

My reasons for not voting were, um, eclectic. Apathy something, nothing but turd sandwiches something something, lazy something something. You know, brilliant and quite reasonable.

But the notion of voting--or not voting--for Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump got in my head space. It vexed me. It filled up the corners where there rightfully should have been visions of zombies with laser-beam eyes and peanut butter cup mountains and Taraji Henson making sweet love to Aisha Tyler. And I could not let that go unchecked.

A great country (yeah, I think it is, so sue me or whatever) with a choice of pathological liar or pathological liar. "Is this how a human would look wearing this expression?" or "This is the expression I will wear while I'm grabbing your pussy." An unlikable, unbearable, authoritarian technocrat who craves power or an unlikable, unbearable, authoritarian con man who thinks he's already God and might as well be president too.

And the worst part, of course, is that in a contest between two unelectable shitstains in our collective underpants, someone will, if I understand the rules correctly, of necessity be elected.

At a certain level of badness, choice becomes meaningless. "Good morning, mistermarino, shall I chop off your arms and legs and poke out your left eye, or would you prefer I chop off your legs, penis and balls and graft Carrot Top's head to your chest so you can stare into each other's eyes forever? Please, take your time."

I know what you're thinking, and yes, Halle Berry, Kerry Washington and Candice Patton...um...oh, the other thing. Yeah, so, is Gary Johnson a dream candidate? Of course not.

I like the audacity of the whole we want gay married couples to be able to defend their marijuana fields with machine guns thing. Okay, I'm not convinced about the machine gun part of that, and I'm not even sure that's a Gary Johnson thing. But compared to what else is on the table, it has the virtue of not being, you know, evil.

You don't need to be a Libertarian to appreciate an idea that Libertarians are more likely to hold. And let's face it, "Libertarian" is a word like "art" or "interesting" or "schmurtzempitzel" that people use to mean whatever they want it to mean in order to spew infantile rants about how infantile it is.

Ah, but what is Aleppo? Because, as we all know, no one ever makes mistakes or learns anything. The way Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump have learned not to be lying, power-hungry, statists who fetishize power or adulation or rape or money or, well, you can keep adding to the list in your head.

And so I got back my own head space and refilled it with lovely images that made me quite happy, sometimes more than once in the same day. I knew who I was going to vote for and did not--and I mean this literally--have to ponder it one second longer.

I know he will not win. But so what? I've voted for winners and losers before and never regretted it. Why would I, if my conscience is clear?

I think Gary Johnson might be the only decent human being on the ballot...might be the only human being, period. I think he might grow into the job the way other governors have managed to do. I think he will not spend every minute fantasizing about how to bring the engorged powers of the state to bear on the people he is supposed to be serving.

Those are things I think. They might be false, though I think they are more probably true than false.

But what I believe--and this is in the end why I never wavered on voting for Johnson--is that he is the only one of the three who did not wake up this morning and think, "What do I have to say today to get these fuckers to let me rule them?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
You have a "R"-Governor called "Brownback" of whom TRUMP would no doubt mistakenly "lump in" with Brown-folks from his NAME alone, because: 'blinders'! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Vote the lesser of two pathological liars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Vote the lesser of two pathological liars.

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you voted!

You effectively voted for whoever actually wins your state if and only if you are in one of the few battle ground states.

And you may help the liberatarians get to the 5% mark they need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
maxo-texas wrote:
Glad you voted!

You effectively voted for whoever actually wins your state if and only if you are in one of the few battle ground states.

What's this 5% that I keep seeing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
Glad you voted!

Seriously? You don't know?

Sec.. I'll google a good article on it.

Here you go...

http://ivn.us/2012/11/01/why-5-matters-to-gary-johnson/

Quote:
Winning 5 percent of the popular vote will not give the Libertarian candidate direct ballot access in all 50 states in the next election, as the ad insinuates. States control the election processes, and each of them have different rules regarding the requirements to have a third party candidate’s name on the ballot.

These state requirements will have to be met again in the next election, regardless of Gary Johnson’s results this year. However, as Johnson is already on the ballot in 48 states and a write-in on another (Oklahoma is the only state excluding him from the ballot), the financial rewards reaped from reaching 5 percent will most likely allow him to access the ballot in all fifty states in the next election cycle.

For many third party candidates, resources, in both time and money, prevent them from appearing on a majority of ballots. Third party candidate Ross Perot, one of the most well known third party candidates, was on the ballot in 50 states in 1992 and 1996 because he was a billionaire who had enough resources to meet all the requirements.

In terms of financing, 5 percent will radically change the Libertarian candidate’s hand in the next election. Indeed 5 percent is the milestone set by the Federal Election Commission to be eligible for the Presidential Election Campaign Fund’s grant. The amount of public funding available to the minor party candidate is based on the the ratio of the party’s popular vote in the preceding presidential election to the average popular vote of the two major party candidates in that election.

...(moar follows)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
I wondered if that what it was about. Although technically correct, taking public funds would be less than what they can raise.

The amount of public funding a minor party receives is a fraction of what the big parties get. As I understand it, a minor party that gets 5% of the vote qualifies for a fraction of the money a big party gets. If a big party gets 100 m and 50% of the vote, a minor party would get a fraction based upon that or $10m (5% is 10% of 50%).

Libertarians raised more than that this year, and the big parties would have gotten less than $100m, had they elected to use public funding, which they didn't.

A quick Google search revealed to me that the threshold to be on the next ballot in Kansas is 1%.

I assumed you knew the basics when I asked. Thought you were talking about something else.

Edit: 25% is the meaningful threshold. That qualifies them as a major party.

Edit: originally posted to my subsequent post. This is the correct place for it: oooooooh I now look closer at Macs post. The picture says, "equal ballot access and funding".

While grammatically correct it is misleading. It would be better to say, "funding and equal ballot access."

Very sly.

Yes. It is no better than one would expect from a dem or repub.

I think you fell for it Mac. Easy mistake to make. I point no fingers. And I take back my condescending tone. You can keep yours. I'm fine with it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
Glad you voted!

You really think koldie understands U.S. politics like he pretends to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Shampoo4you wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
Glad you voted!

One of us called the election months ago.

One of us also said Biden could not have possibly lost. How is that statement looking now?

5% is an appeal to the ignorant. It's a slogan without meaning. It's "hope and change" or "make billionaires great again". The big parties haven't used public funding for quite sometime. It's very 80s.

Edit: oooooooh I now look closer at Macs post. The picture says, "equal ballot access and funding".

While grammatically correct it is misleading. It would be better to say, "funding and equal ballot access."

Very sly.

I think you fell for it Mac. Easy mistake to make. I point no fingers. And I take back my condescending tone. You can keep yours. I'm fine with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:
So I wasted my vote gave the finger to The Power chose the least of several evils voted my conscience on Friday.

A number of thoughts traipsed about inside my pretty little head as I stood in line, but none of them had anything remotely to do with politics. "I'm glad I peed first," "That woman is really gorgeous" and my personal favorite, "Ooh, I get a sticker!" were among those thoughts.

I hadn't voted in many years. Some of you were not even alive the last time I voted. Why, back in my day, we chiseled our votes on stone tablets and village elders helpfully read our selections out loud to make sure we had chosen correctly.

My reasons for not voting were, um, eclectic. Apathy something, nothing but turd sandwiches something something, lazy something something. You know, brilliant and quite reasonable.

But the notion of voting--or not voting--for Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump got in my head space. It vexed me. It filled up the corners where there rightfully should have been visions of zombies with laser-beam eyes and peanut butter cup mountains and Taraji Henson making sweet love to Aisha Tyler. And I could not let that go unchecked.

A great country (yeah, I think it is, so sue me or whatever) with a choice of pathological liar or pathological liar. "Is this how a human would look wearing this expression?" or "This is the expression I will wear while I'm grabbing your pussy." An unlikable, unbearable, authoritarian technocrat who craves power or an unlikable, unbearable, authoritarian con man who thinks he's already God and might as well be president too.

And the worst part, of course, is that in a contest between two unelectable shitstains in our collective underpants, someone will, if I understand the rules correctly, of necessity be elected.

At a certain level of badness, choice becomes meaningless. "Good morning, mistermarino, shall I chop off your arms and legs and poke out your left eye, or would you prefer I chop off your legs, penis and balls and graft Carrot Top's head to your chest so you can stare into each other's eyes forever? Please, take your time."

I know what you're thinking, and yes, Halle Berry, Kerry Washington and Candice Patton...um...oh, the other thing. Yeah, so, is Gary Johnson a dream candidate? Of course not.

I like the audacity of the whole we want gay married couples to be able to defend their marijuana fields with machine guns thing. Okay, I'm not convinced about the machine gun part of that, and I'm not even sure that's a Gary Johnson thing. But compared to what else is on the table, it has the virtue of not being, you know, evil.

You don't need to be a Libertarian to appreciate an idea that Libertarians are more likely to hold. And let's face it, "Libertarian" is a word like "art" or "interesting" or "schmurtzempitzel" that people use to mean whatever they want it to mean in order to spew infantile rants about how infantile it is.

Ah, but what is Aleppo? Because, as we all know, no one ever makes mistakes or learns anything. The way Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump have learned not to be lying, power-hungry, statists who fetishize power or adulation or rape or money or, well, you can keep adding to the list in your head.

And so I got back my own head space and refilled it with lovely images that made me quite happy, sometimes more than once in the same day. I knew who I was going to vote for and did not--and I mean this literally--have to ponder it one second longer.

I know he will not win. But so what? I've voted for winners and losers before and never regretted it. Why would I, if my conscience is clear?

I think Gary Johnson might be the only decent human being on the ballot...might be the only human being, period. I think he might grow into the job the way other governors have managed to do. I think he will not spend every minute fantasizing about how to bring the engorged powers of the state to bear on the people he is supposed to be serving.

Those are things I think. They might be false, though I think they are more probably true than false.

But what I believe--and this is in the end why I never wavered on voting for Johnson--is that he is the only one of the three who did not wake up this morning and think, "What do I have to say today to get these fuckers to let me rule them?"

If you think there is no difference between being "ruled" by Clinton or by Trump, then you really have not been paying any attention this election cycle, as you seem to have missed these Trump promising to kill family members of terrorist (war crime by the way), his lying about 9/11 to whip up hatred against a religious minority, his mainstreaming hate by embracing the alt right, etc.

Hopefully you are not in a "battleground" state so the rest of us can escape what appears to be an abysmally stupid decision based on a selective choice of facts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:

Well, thanks for voting and giving it the necessary thought. Some vote for ideals, some vote for practicality. The strength of our country is that we have the privilege to do either or both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:

Well done sir.....tip of the hat to you.

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
mistermarino wrote:

If you think there is no difference between being "ruled" by Clinton or by Trump, then you really have not been paying any attention this election cycle, as you seem to have missed these Trump promising to kill family members of terrorist (war crime by the way), his lying about 9/11 to whip up hatred against a religious minority, his mainstreaming hate by embracing the alt right, etc.

Hopefully you are not in a "battleground" state so the rest of us can escape what appears to be an abysmally stupid decision based on a selective choice of facts.

Quote:
Hopefully we will get the second worst option possible.

Hopefully he DOES live in a battleground state (he doesn't) and enough other people choose to vote their conscience as well instead of voting "lesser of two evils." Then we don't have to deal with a wild cannon megalomaniac OR the personification of monied politics and influence-peddling. Hopefully we can get people to vote for their conscience instead of limiting themselves to two bad options.

Hey, while we are hoping, may as well hope big.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
Glad you voted!

One of us called the election months ago.

One of us also said Biden could not have possibly lost. How is that statement looking now?

5% is an appeal to the ignorant. It's a slogan without meaning. It's "hope and change" or "make billionaires great again". The big parties haven't used public funding for quite sometime. It's very 80s.

Edit: oooooooh I now look closer at Macs post. The picture says, "equal ballot access and funding".

Very sly.

I think you fell for it Mac. Easy mistake to make. I point no fingers. And I take back my condescending tone. You can keep yours. I'm fine with it.

Um. lol.

You asked what the "5 talk" was about so I told you.
And your response indicates you didn't read the text below the graphic.

I might have come across as condescending but mainly it was just surprise as I thought it was common knowledge.

Thanks for what you said privately. Civility is nice.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
mistermarino wrote:

Quote:
Hopefully we will get the second worst option possible.

Hopefully he DOES live in a battleground state (he doesn't) and enough other people choose to vote their conscience as well instead of voting "lesser of two evils." Then we don't have to deal with a wild cannon megalomaniac OR the personification of monied politics and influence-peddling. Hopefully we can get people to vote for their conscience instead of limiting themselves to two bad options.

Hey, while we are hoping, may as well hope big.

If you think doing anything to help Trump win the presidency. Which is what you would be doing in this case then it's not so much hoping "big" as much as being a complete moron. That is actually Trumps plan with his "Project Alamo". Devised not to increase his vote but depress hers. So actually doing his bidding. So you basically you just don't give a shit about what galorns to the country as a whole. Or is it just that those who will be effected most will not be white, or of a religious minority.

Thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:

If you think doing anything to help Trump win the presidency. Which is what you would be doing in this case then it's not so much hoping "big" as much as being a complete moron. That is actually Trumps plan with his "Project Alamo". Devised not to increase his vote but depress hers. So actually doing his bidding. So you basically you just don't give a shit about what galorns to the country as a whole. Or is it just that those who will be effected most will not be white, or of a religious minority.

Thanks for sharing.

Project Alamo? This sounds like something straight out of the Dominionist playbook.

Also, surrendering to the furthering of monied politics is something I can not vote for in good conscience any more than I can vote for a racist-empowering megalomaniac.

And that is just what Hillary is banking on others doing. Is there a project name to go with that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:

Thanks for sharing.

Yes, lets be insulting. Thats the best way to help convince people to your point of view. Why not kick a puppy while your at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
Yes, lets be insulting. Thats the best way to help convince people to your point of view. Why not kick a puppy while your at it.

Thats been donalds strategy all along and he's apparently just a butt hair shy of the presidency. Seems to have its merits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankiedamn wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:

Thats been donalds strategy all along and he's apparently just a butt hair shy of the presidency. Seems to have its merits.

Depends on whether you want to galvanize those on your side or persuade those on the other side. Do you think Trump is doing a lot of persuading of liberals or independents?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:

Thanks for sharing.

I am just pointing out the inherent idiocy of making some kind of equivalency between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. His lying about Muslims to whip up hatred against them. Surrounding himself with the alt right like Steve Bannon, who is so anti immigrant as to be revolting

http://www.salon.com/2016/11/03/breitbart-and-donald-trumps-...

I am still waiting for some logical argument besides "but Hillary" for not doing everything to stop this man from getting the presidency.

And that is not kicking a puppy, its being blunt. Learn the difference. Especially when the stakes are this high
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.