$30.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Best Treehouse Ever» Forums » Rules

Subject: Least = 0 or 1? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric F
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing the LEAST modifier card, say on green, if there is a person with 0 green rooms and someone with 1 green room who is considered to have the least?

In other words, does LEAST require there to be a minimum of 1 (least of those who have any), or is it truly a mathematical minimum?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We play that you'd have to have at least one to be affected.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chaffer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Grand Rapids Area Boardgamers
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of the intent, "least of those who have any" is way more interesting, so we play that way. Otherwise this card too often becomes redundant with the "does not score" card.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A3n Max
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBob wrote:
Regardless of the intent, "least of those who have any" is way more interesting, so we play that way. Otherwise this card too often becomes redundant with the "does not score" card.


Hmm, we have always played it as 0 is least & totally agree that it seems redundant. Will have to try your ruling next time.

Cheers
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Sorry, I know this is an old thread, but what is a LEAST modifier card? Is it a promo card or part of the base game?

EDIT: nevermind, I assume it is part of the promo pack available in the BGG store.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have 0, this means you don't have that color room. To score you need to have it. At least this is how I see it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric F
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jiloo wrote:
If you have 0, this means you don't have that color room. To score you need to have it. At least this is how I see it.

This is how I see it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRealEagleMan wrote:
Jiloo wrote:
If you have 0, this means you don't have that color room. To score you need to have it. At least this is how I see it.

This is how I see it.


I get why this is more interesting, but it is counter-intuitive. 0 is part of the set of all numbers, so in a list of 0,1,2,1 0 is "least." If I have one fish and you have two fish and someone else has zero fish, we wouldn't say that I have the least amount of fish.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
wombat929 wrote:
TheRealEagleMan wrote:
Jiloo wrote:
If you have 0, this means you don't have that color room. To score you need to have it. At least this is how I see it.

This is how I see it.

I get why this is more interesting, but it is counter-intuitive. 0 is part of the set of all numbers, so in a list of 0,1,2,1 0 is "least." If I have one fish and you have two fish and someone else has zero fish, we wouldn't say that I have the least amount of fish.

I've seen this in other games — where you have to have at least one to be considered to have the least — can't remember where. Just seems like a game-y thing.

I was wondering about if zero is technically a concept (like infinity) rather than a number and found this Q/A: http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/68357.html

This was sparked by an idea in my house that there should be a "negative zero" and that it should equal infinity. Made sense to me. What is the opposite of nothing? Everything! What is the opposite of everything? Nothing!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkroberts wrote:
wombat929 wrote:
TheRealEagleMan wrote:
Jiloo wrote:
If you have 0, this means you don't have that color room. To score you need to have it. At least this is how I see it.

This is how I see it.

I get why this is more interesting, but it is counter-intuitive. 0 is part of the set of all numbers, so in a list of 0,1,2,1 0 is "least." If I have one fish and you have two fish and someone else has zero fish, we wouldn't say that I have the least amount of fish.

I've seen this in other games — where you have to have at least one to be considered to have the least — can't remember where. Just seems like a game-y thing.

I was wondering about if zero is technically a concept (like infinity) rather than a number and found this Q/A: http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/68357.html

This was sparked by an idea in my house that there should be a "negative zero" and that it should equal infinity. Made sense to me. What is the opposite of nothing? Everything! What is the opposite of everything? Nothing!


Grab a zero by the sides and twist it and you get an infinity symbol, eh? Nice.

Castles of Mad King Ludwig works the way you indicated for the King's rewards: the person with the most gets the top prize, the next most second prize, etc. But if you don't have any, you can't get any prize, even if technically you qualify.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric F
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
I get why this is more interesting, but it is counter-intuitive. 0 is part of the set of all numbers, so in a list of 0,1,2,1 0 is "least." If I have one fish and you have two fish and someone else has zero fish, we wouldn't say that I have the least amount of fish.

It depends on if quantity of rooms is defined over the set of natural numbers or whole numbers. If natural numbers, then 0 is not in the set of numbers.

kirkroberts wrote:
I've seen this in other games — where you have to have at least one to be considered to have the least — can't remember where. Just seems like a game-y thing.

I was wondering about if zero is technically a concept (like infinity) rather than a number and found this Q/A: http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/68357.html

Zero is definitely more concept than number, as stated in the link. While it's fairly easy to imagine and intuitive to understand and use, zero does not and cannot exist in the physical world. We cannot see 0 objects; we cannot make groups of 0 things; we cannot split items into 0 groups; etc. Non-existence is not technically the same thing as counting 0 of those objects - it's not that there 0 green rooms, there just are not green rooms...non-existence, therefore not countable. This is why I would say you need at least 1 to qualify.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.