5 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: OL Soulbinder Deck - Possessive rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you use Possessive to control a hero? Can you choose to have the hero attack himself? It says treat as a monster, and I do not think a monster can attack itself, but since Dark Charm calls out the hero is treated like a monster and can attack itself, but there are other Overlord cards that forbid a possessed hero attacking itself, so what is the default rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Attacking oneself is a special exception. The normal rule can be found in the rulebook. paraphrazed, it says when declaring the target of an attack you have to choose a space containing an ENEMY FIGURE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 4 Overlord cards that allow that trick.

1a) Dark Charm explicitly declares that the hero may attack himself.
1b) So does Treacherous Shadows (Shadowmancer class).
2) Out of Darkness (another Shadowmancer card) explicitly forbids the hero from attacking himself.
3) Possessive (Soulbinder class) doesn't specify.

I agree with Paul that case 3) is covered by basic attack rules, and so the hero (now a monster) cannot attack himself.
I wonder if case 2) has been explicitly worded in that form in order to further underline the difference with Treacherous Shadows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
Sometimes game designers put clarification notes in that agree with the rules to remind us how they work, or to remind us that other cards are a specific case of breaking the rules.

Descent tries very hard to not have ambiguity. "Figure must attack enemy" is the rule, which Dark Charm and other cards explicitly permitting self-attack break. If a card does not specify, it isn't permitted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Out of Darkness was the one throwing me off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.