Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played solo a few times over the last couple days. After one game running 4 heroes, I decided running 2 at a time is more my speed. Based on those 2-hero games, I have some thoughts about the new heroes:

Tracker (Fennah)
Her first pairing was with the wizard Liphardus, which wasn't a great fit. Her horn ability was useless, and neither of them could use a helm. The same would be true if matched with the archer or river guardian.

Later, she teamed up with Mairen the warrior. Since the warrior used a helm, that left Fennah with the runestones. She can't re-roll the black die, and the warrior was near full willpower the whole time, so she almost never used her knife or horn. That would probably be true with the storm warrior as well. But if the game isn't going as well, or at the end when everyone is drained, the horn could be useful.

The ability to look at tokens in an area is nice, but it's no substitute for a telescope. You'll only get to use it 4-5 times during the game. It is nice when there are a couple distant runestones left in opposite directions.

Guardian (Talvora)
She got paired with Chada the archer. The archer took the runestones, and Talvora ended up with a helm (which turned out to be very effective [EDIT: And illegal--see below]). Talvora's ability to kill 2 skralls in the first couple days (before anyone geared up) was the key to defending the castle.

I think her ability to weaken a monster is much more useful with only 2 heroes in the game. I think it might be the strongest single power of any hero, although there will be some games where it isn't needed.

Storm fighter/Taurus (Rhega)
Her partner was Bait the dwarf. I can't say much about Rhega's abilities, because the setup was incredibly difficult. A wardrak got in on the very first night. They had to rescue 2 farmers down south who would have died the first night, which was especially bad since both heroes started out north of the castle.

I have played Rhega twice (once with 4 heroes). Both times, I have had a hard time pumping up her willpower enough, and keeping it high enough, to be able to get free strength from wells. Since that's her biggest power, I feel like I should take advantage of it. In this game, everything just went wrong. In the other game, events sucked willpower from her twice. So I'm hoping if I play her again, she'll do better.

River protector (Kheela)
I haven't tried her with 2 players yet. It doesn't seem like she would pair that well with the wizard, because the wizard can only get a +3 boost by flipping the white die. The archer is probably an OK pairing, with the protector taking the runestones, and using the spirit to help the archer. The ranged heroes from the expansion would also be reasonable matches, I think. With the dwarf or warrior, the spirit probably wouldn't be used much later in the game. The protector would probably take the runestones, but the white die isn't great compared to rolling 3-4 normal dice, especially if you add a helm.

The protector seems most useful early in the game. I would think she would also be more situational, benefiting from games where the action is focused in a relatively small location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool overview! Interesting read!

Just mu 2 cents:

Tracker's horn even more useful with more heroes. And raven can open some fog near the castle at the start of the game while someone with telescope will go in the forest.

peakhope wrote:
Talvora ended up with a helm (which turned out to be very effective)

But Guardian can't use the helm like the archer. Or I miss something?

Taurus ability seems cool, but plays out rather boring

The water spirit cool with the archers in the castle and white die is very cool with potions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncivil wrote:
Tracker's horn even more useful with more heroes.

Definitely!

Quote:
And raven can open some fog near the castle at the start of the game while someone with telescope will go in the forest.

Nice idea.

Quote:
But Guardian can't use the helm like the archer. Or I miss something?

I'm away from the game right now, so I can't check the rules. My assumption was that the guardian would be able to use a helm in close combat (in the same space, rolling dice all at once), but not from a distance (adjacent, rolling one at a time). I could be wrong.

Quote:
The water spirit cool with the archers in the castle and white die is very cool with potions!

Maybe better with more players? I did have one 2-hero game where the spirit helped defend the castle, but it seems like in most 2-hero games, everyone is on castle defense, often without having potions available.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Special ability: Arbon must roll his dice one at a time (see archer).

So Guardian can't use the helm.

That's why (as i Told in my review) Guardian have the worst dicepool ever
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncivil wrote:
Quote:
Special ability: Arbon must roll his dice one at a time (see archer).

So Guardian can't use the helm.

That's why (as i Told in my review) Guardian have the worst dicepool ever

Doh! I confused the abilities of 2 heroes. Need to read more closely. Thanks for the correction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter vP
msg tools
mbmbmb
Fenn can't use his dagger to reroll the black die once he has that one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Phalanx300 wrote:
Fenn can't use his dagger to reroll the black die once he has that one?

Not according to Re: Fenn's Knife, which claims the designer has specifically said "orange die" only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.