Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Were you playing aggressively? If not, go out of your way to mess up your opponent, especially if they have got vulnerable huts in a settlement of 3, stop them playing the temple. That'll liven things up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d peruzzini
United States
cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
i agree totally. just a day or two previous to your post i posted a an article in the variants section on the 2 player game. we found the same thing and that each win was by the "early conditions" of 2 building types being built. in fact at least once we never even built a 3rd level, there was no need. we have been playing lately with less tiles, either leaving 2 stacks in the box or exactly half the tiles, this does tighten up the board and both victory conditions are attainable. my actual post was to see if others were doing this in a 2 player game. my wife also likes playing 2 player with the water hexes as non buildable. this gives some blocking abilities also, which tightens it up even further without ruining the meant feel of the game. definately try these and you might find more of a tense 2 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d peruzzini
United States
cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
give it try with both variants, less tiles and water tiles non buildable, the only thng we cant really settle is whether to use half the tiles (if keeping water hexes non buildable that actually gives you less hexes to build on when compared to a 4 player game) or to just leave 2 stacks in the box resulting in about 2/3 of the tiles being used. let us know how you feel. the thing with using less tiles is that it also means the same tiles dont come out every game adding a little variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's really nothing to change to the rules. Early victory is the normal way with two players. I respectfully suggest that you encounter some other players because I believe that you suffer of group thinking.

Pyjam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d peruzzini
United States
cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
actually since two of us posters, unrelated, found the same thing and i have played against players (2 player) in another city at a games convention with the same opinion i believe (but still accept that i could be wrong) this isnt a group thought thing. both of us also found that we each had 2 player games that never built the 3rd level which has never happened to me in a 3 or 4 player game. it just isnt the same "board" with 2 players compared to 4, the tile placement and the tension of placing pieces isnt the same, the race to which victory condition will happen is totally gone as placing all of 2 buildings is always the victory condition. this is due to the number of tiles in the game vs the number of player pieces available when playing 2 player with all the tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why your games lack of tension. I can say that mine are really exciting. I do love it as a 2-player game. I even imagined a variant for 4 players playing in two teams. 3-player and 4-player games tend to suffer from king-making problems.

Yesterday, on Tric Trac, a french forum, we have had a discussion to help a newby. People who played the game 40 or 50 times have written useful comments and tips. They do like it as a 2-player game.
http://www.trictrac.net/jeux/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40083

It is indeed dangerous to play a tile at the 2nd floor. If you do it, you must be sure to be the only player who put a tower on the tile at the 3rd floor. I don't feel it as a flaw in the game, nor that it lacks of excitement.

I hope you'll discover the beauty of the 2-player game soon.

Pyjam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d peruzzini
United States
cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
maybe i should clarify, we do like it with 2, but with all the tiles in play it just lacks, like drew states, the same game play as with 4, its just more open and easy to build, thats how we came up with playing with less tiles, to more mimick the 4 player game such as drew sites in his example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
But it occurs to me that you need to look several moves ahead to really keep the pressure on with two, but because of the random draw of tiles, that's not exactly possible.
I bought this recently and this evening we opened it for the first time and played 2P. My wife feels she probably doesn't like it for the opposite reason... she finds it too aggressive. (NB: She likes Nexus Ops, Traders of Genoa, Tikal, and Carc H&G which she plays aggressively but feels Taluva is more aggressive than these.)

She was finding it hard to make moves that couldn't be blocked. In our second game, she saw what I had been doing and I also found it hard to make moves that couldn't be blocked. There seem to be few combinations of joining huts that don't have a clobber possibility somewhere, including pre-emptively playing the second level to make it harder for your opponent to mess with you. And it seems nearly impossible to play a third level tile without giving your opponent a tower as well.

I may have trouble getting this on the table again due to the high "take that" factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls