Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bowen Jacobs
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I finally got to play our first game tonight. Man this game has a steep learning curve! But once we got the hang of it we had a blast. We both made a lot of beginners' mistakes, but it was a very close game. In the end I managed to escape with one of my ninjas with the time-track on the second to last space- One more turn with a noise token and I would have lost. ninja,

Anyway, we had several questions that we couldn't find clear answers to in the rulebook.

1. During set up, do the ninja draw their starting equipment cards at random or do they get to choose which cards they want?

2. Yuto's ability mentions that he gets to start with an extra equipment or force card. What's a "force card"? Should that be "bonus card" instead?

3. Is there a limit to how many times you can perform/attempt the same action in one turn, as either the ninja or the guards? For example, can a ninja search for the same token multiple times in a row, spending 1 die each time? Can a guard spend 3 actions to move 3 times? To attack 3 times? (We played that yes, you can do multiple actions and it seemed to work just fine, so I suspect that we got it right)

4. Promoting. When exactly does that happen? We were playing with Kenta, so he could promote guards. From what I could tell from the rules it happens during the same phase as activations and playing guard cards. How does that work? Can you promote a guard before activating him? After activating him? During his activation?

5. What's the rule of thumb for cards that contradict each other. For example, I had armor on Katsumi, and my wife played a guard card that changes a Ninja's defense to 4 for one attack. So does the armor add on to the defense of 4 (giving a final defense value of 5)? Or does the guard card override the armor?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bushido GCT Studios
England
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey,

1. Random
2. He gets two random equipment cards
3. Yes, as long as you have actions (and haven't hit the activation limit for guards).
4. At any point during step 4 of the guard turn.
5. Definite numbers overule modifiers.

Sounds like you had a close game and glad you enjoyed it! Be sure to rate the game when you've am had a couple more plays ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bowen Jacobs
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply!
Quote:
4. Promoting. When exactly does that happen? We were playing with Kenta, so he could promote guards. From what I could tell from the rules it happens during the same phase as activations and playing guard cards. How does that work? Can you promote a guard before activating him? After activating him? During his activation?

xoddsx wrote:
4. At any point during step 4 of the guard turn.

I still have some questions about this one. What happens if you promote a guard in the middle of activating him, particularly if the new guard has a different number of actions available to him?

For example: Say that you have a Komomo (3 Actions). You spend 3 action tokens to take three actions with him, then promote him to a Bushi (2 actions). Can you then spend a noise token to take a bonus action with him, even though he's taken 3 actions this turn?

It's all just a little hazy. I think I'll just play that you can promote a guard BEFORE or AFTER taking actions with him, but not DURING.

EDIT:

Quote:
Sounds like you had a close game and glad you enjoyed it! Be sure to rate the game when you've am had a couple more plays ninja

Well the wife enjoyed it and wants to play again, so that's the best review I can possibly give it. I'll do a more in depth review after we play a few more games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bushido GCT Studios
England
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ah I see, I would rule that unactivated models may be promoted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.